Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   handling my 3 year old sand boa (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14938)

draco 08-19-2011 04:04 AM

handling my 3 year old sand boa

i have had my snake for two years but seven months ago it was winter and he refused to eat. so i guessed that it was hibernating and so when the winter ended and he started moving around as usually i couldnt feed him because i couldnt find any mice -btw i live in egypt and although i used t have a steady supplier for a period of 5 to 6 years- and i finally found some mice after a long search in pet stores and after trying other stuff like lizards and frogs. anyways he ate his last mouse a week ago. and i didnt handle him for 7 months in fear that i might make him nervous and sick due to that lack of food so know that i want to hold hmi again should i just go and slide my hand under him and handle it or is there is a way to do it without him being nervous and scared.

lovesnuffles 08-19-2011 04:48 AM

You're just gonna have to go pick him up like you always do and watch his body language. You don't have to go without handling them when they're off feed. I handle mine still even when they're going through a period of refusing to eat. They usually won't be any more aggressive than usual, because food is not what they want, obviously.

draco 08-19-2011 05:48 AM

i tried to stroke his body earlier but he didnt seem to like it and it was as if he was trying to escape then he suddenly flinched without biting me. but i will try to pick him up like you said next time
thanks

draco 08-21-2011 03:59 AM

i tried picking him up today he was very calm and didnt seem to be stressed, he also didnt try to escape or something. so thank you for the advice.

lovesnuffles 08-21-2011 08:13 PM

No problem. I'm glad he's ok with it.

WiccanWolf88 08-22-2011 06:25 PM

I was lucky in that Lucy LOVES to be held. She is a very outgoing snake, though sometimes when she is hiding I don't even bother. She'll let you know when she's interested. I just love to watch her body language and her eyes move when it's on a target...it's so cool. ;)

draco 08-23-2011 02:34 AM

yea for me feeding is the most interesting aspect of a snakes life; when in a split second it jumps from the sand grabing the mouse by its head and squeezing it with his whole body and it never gets old :)

DennyS 08-24-2011 08:56 PM

Now wait a minute... Did I just read Lovesnuffles giving directions on how to pick up a Sand Boa without getting bit??? I thought your Sand Boa always bit you.... lol I just found that funny... sorry sweetheart!

lovesnuffles 08-25-2011 05:34 PM

Lol! Yes, yes Denny, I know :P Haha. Mine were all viscous! But I still never got bit by them ;) .... well .... except the male snow. I got bit by him ... but he never broke skin, so I don't count it in my bite count :/

DennyS 08-26-2011 04:42 PM

On the subject of bites... I got tagged twice last week while feeding...my Blizzard Bullsnake and our Juvi Carpet Python....wow, they hurt!