Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Snippy Ball Python (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14981)

Sandy3154 10-01-2011 11:07 PM

Snippy Ball Python

I just got a new ball python and it is very snippy. Anytime i try to pick it up or hold it it tries to bite me. It seems to be comfortable in it's cage and has already eaten with no problems. I also have two other snakes so i am not an amature just unsure of this type of snake. It this just b/c it's new and needs to adjust to me and my smells or is this going to be it's personality???? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. It seems pretty aggresive........

lovesnuffles 10-02-2011 01:21 AM

Anytime you get a new snake, you should leave it be for at least a week to let it get used to its new home. Being in a new environment stresses them out and can make them aggressive.

If after the week of solitude is up and it's still nippy, you're gonna have to tame it down. If it's a baby, it thinks you want to eat it and you'll have to win its trust. If it's older, you'll still have to win its trust because there's no telling how it was treated prior to your getting it.

DodoBird27 10-03-2011 04:56 AM

Yup, snuffles pretty much covered it. Give him/her a week or so to chill out and get used to the new home then start to handle.
Ball Pythons are very rarely so aggressive, so hopefully this one calms down. Go in with gloves if you need to later. I hope things get better, congrats on the new snake =)

Sandy3154 10-03-2011 03:15 PM

Thank you both for the advise. I will leave him/her for a week and then proceed. It's still a baby so hopefully, i can win trust quickly :)

lovesnuffles 10-03-2011 05:49 PM

It shouldn't take too long. A week of regular handling at the most.

DennyS 10-06-2011 11:32 PM

Sounds like a "her" by the bite response... all of my girl ball pythons were snappy and the boys were fine. Remember baby snakes must be able to defend themselves and they do!!

lovesnuffles 10-07-2011 01:55 AM

I've had a nice female before. I've only ever owned two female balls, and only one was nice .... But half is a pretty good percent! Lol

DennyS 10-08-2011 03:33 PM

Lol...yeah as soon as I opened the sweater box they would get into the strike position.... once I had them out they were fine unless I needed to change hands then I would get bit again. The boys I could get out and juggle...they were so laid back! I always made money at shows selling my ball pythons!

lovesnuffles 10-08-2011 04:38 PM

Lol, Denny, I'm getting the feeling that female snakes just plain don't like you :P

Greg Nel 10-10-2011 10:19 AM

Yep, Denny there definetly seems to be an issue between you and female snakes! Maybe its the beard. You must also treat the ladies gently and check with them that they actually feel like comming out first. You know how sensitive women can be.