Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Show yourself (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651)

tmmpin 11-30-2007 07:43 PM

Show yourself

I seen this on another forum and thought it was kind of neat. So I figured we could try it here. Basically post a picture of yourself and tell everyone a little about yourself.

tmmpin 11-30-2007 07:49 PM

I'll go first.
I first got into snakes when I was a little brat running around through the woods. Catching any snake I could, including the venomous ones :shock:
I got my first pet reptile when I was 18, a bearded dragon. Since then I have had frogs and iguanas as well. Now I am strictly snakes with having 5 right now and hoping to keep my collection growing.
This picture is of me down at the Ripleys Believe it or not aquarium in Gatlinburg, Tenn. Behind me is a large spider crab, thing was huge!!!
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...inburg0060.jpg
I doubt any of you have any dorkier pictures then I got on here, so don't be shy.

sombadfish 11-30-2007 08:59 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ish/myhead.jpg

That was when i still had my mohawk..
Mom got us our first iguana when i was in 1st grade and since then we've had all kinds of reptiles and insects. My current iguana is 6 years old and shes the sweetest thing :) My other pet is Jack, the ball python. the rest of the animals live in my brothers room, i just help take care of them and play with them. we've never had a dog or cat or anything else with fur (except feeder mice and rats) because my dad is a party pooper like that lol

Im moving out next summer so hopefully soon i'll start building a big enclosure for the iguana :-D

tmmpin 12-01-2007 09:13 AM

All the iguanas I have ever had been mean little monsters. Tail whipping me if I just reached in to change the water. I still enjoyed having them though.

sombadfish 12-01-2007 03:11 PM

yea she used to be an evil ***** and now she sleeps in my bed :)

gandolph 12-01-2007 06:52 PM

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...210/Brandi.jpg REALLY BAD PICTURE OF ME AT CHRISTMAS TIME LAST YEAR!!![/img]

tmmpin 12-02-2007 03:19 AM

looks like you seen a ghost :lol:

Roy 12-02-2007 11:22 AM

I'll submit a picture of myself as soon as I get this computer to transfer images properly. :evil:

IzzieMonster 12-03-2007 02:15 PM

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/P1010002.jpg
This is me and my boyfriend.... Isn't he cute :)

I started my snake obsession this year.
My boyfriend owns a pest control service and one day he came home with a Texas Rat Snake stuck to a glue board.
Everyone at the office wanted to cut its head off!!
I have always been deathly afraid of snakes but I felt SOO bad for the little guy so I had to save him.
I took some baby oil and worked with the snake to get it unstuck.
He was so thankful to be alive. I feed him and kept him for a few days until I felt like he was recovered then realesed him in the local woods.

Since then I have resuced and released 3 more rats and 1 little garter snake.
NowI am totally obsessed and facinated with the little guys and can't wait to add to my collection.

Christy and Izzie (ball python)

tmmpin 12-03-2007 07:14 PM

Wow, I wish my girlfriend was more like you. She has a problem with me getting more snakes. Even though she is willing to deal with it you can tell she has a problem with it. Therefore my room in the garage I have been building.

IzzieMonster 12-04-2007 08:12 PM

Ya, all my girl-friends have stopped coming by the house because me and Izzie will just sit there and hang out all day and the girls don't want anything to do with my little friend. They just think that he's evil :evil:

tmmpin 12-04-2007 09:28 PM

I know what you mean. Some of my friends refuse to come in through my back door now because that takes them right past my snakes. I got a couple that refuse to come in the house at all.

sombadfish 12-05-2007 04:44 AM

man im lucky most of my friends arent pansies lol :lol: only a few are...

Roy 12-05-2007 05:21 AM

I heard about this guy who wanted to give this other bloke a thumping, but struggled to find an opportunity to get near him. Because this guy he wanted to thump always had his pet snake on his shoulder's and the guy who wanted to give the thumping was scared to death of snakes. :lol:

tmmpin 12-05-2007 09:27 AM

LOL :lol: :lol:

Roy 12-06-2007 06:56 AM

Roy

Well finally, here they are. The small one on the left is the venomous one. The one on the right is a coastal carpet (like my own) that I rescued from the neighbors yard.

Now, how I got into snakes, well when I was a kid I grew up with my dad who has heavy earth moving machinery. Occasionally he would clear some land and bring a snake home so that he could put it in the chook shed to eat the rats. Then a few years ago, a huge carpet ate my wifes pet bird. I wanted to keep the snake but she demanded that I should let it go. I later found out that it is against the law to keep a wild animal, so I went about the correct way and applied for a license and bought hatchlings from a licensed breeder.[/img]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...0/Venomous.jpg

tmmpin 12-06-2007 09:30 AM

Got a thing for Harleys? :lol:

Roy 12-06-2007 10:00 AM

Yep! but my wife rides a Triumph. I guess it keeps her off my Harley. :twisted: I'll post a photo of my viper side stand sometime. 8)

IzzieMonster 12-07-2007 02:23 AM

Is the venmous one leathal to humans?
By the way, very impressive carpet python! :shock:
How big is he?

Roy 12-07-2007 07:54 AM

I don't know, I'm just glad that I wasn't bitten by him to find out. But according to my snake book, he is an Eastern Brown Tree-snake and they say- "Venomous but not regarded as dangerous" so I assume that his bite may only cause swelling and nausea at the worst.

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to get a measurement of the Python (not that they are ever cooperative at the best of times) because I released him in that bushland behind me (behind my house) moments after I plucked him out of the neighbors yard. I guess his size to be 10 feet :?.....give or take a foot.

sombadfish 12-07-2007 05:25 PM

thats awesome :D i wish i had snakes in my back yard, but all i have is geese and squirrels. and fish. the only place around here that i see wild snakes is in the road, and theyre usually sans snakes at that point.

Roy 12-07-2007 08:42 PM

The little Eastern Brown Tree was one that rescued off the road. I had to stop a car to prevent him from being run over. I was on my Harley at the time and the only way that I could transport him was in a shoulder bag (army nap sack) 8)

sombadfish 12-07-2007 08:50 PM

hahahahaha thats awesome :-D

i grabbed a turtle from the middle of the road once, moved him back towards the woods, and in return he peed on me.

Roy 12-07-2007 09:18 PM

LOL that's gratitude for you.

We get a lot of wildlife on our roads here. I hit a Koala with the footpeg on my Harley once, lucky I didn't come off. It knocked him unconscious though. someone pulled up behind me and called a wildlife ambulance for him.

sombadfish 12-07-2007 09:20 PM

that just made my day :-D congrats, you just overruled the annoyance of my iguana relieving herself on my blanket

why do animals like to deficate/urinate on me? honestly now i was just sittin there with her and all teh sudden SPLAT.

someday i will get to take a trip to australia (im practically the only one in my house that hasnt) and it will rock

Roy 12-07-2007 09:32 PM

Yeah, our pets don't show much regard for us when they need to go.
My wife gets angry with me if she finds something that the snakes have left
on the window sill after they have had a morning sun bake. :(

P.S. You are always welcome to Australia, we would love to see you. It's
great to visit another country. I was in New Zealand early this year, but they have no snakes there. :(

tmmpin 12-07-2007 10:24 PM

My first snake I got, decided it was a good idea to defecate on me. Didn't have it in my hands for a minute and it just let loose in my hand.
Talk about lucky, they go once a week or even less and I get to see it up close.

sombadfish 12-07-2007 10:52 PM

my first snake pooped on the dining room table :roll:

and my brothers 3.5 footer is wedging itself into my desk drawer right now. and she got stuck.

yea my family owns a shipbuilding company and we work with InCat so my dad is always there on business.. my brother spent a summer working there actually, cool stuff goin on there :) so its always been my dream to vacation/move to australia someday

tmmpin 12-08-2007 09:23 AM

Is Australia as open as it shows in the movies? I know watching crocodile dundee, it looked like you could go for miles without running into anything.
If its anything close to that I would love to take a trip there myself.

Roy 12-08-2007 12:37 PM

Yep! we have huge miles of nothing over here. A trip to Darwin (North) consists of hours and hours of strait open road. You can actually get excited to see a dead Kangaroo or a bend in the road just to see a change in scenery :wink:

There are signs up in the outback warning people that if they continue past that point that they will be too far out of reach and that they need to be properly prepared before they can go any further. :shock: Water, fuel, back-up vehicle, satellite phone, etc.

If you guys want to come over here, then theres plenty to see and do. I wouldn't mind going over there myself sometime.:D

sombadfish 12-10-2007 04:22 AM

hahaha awesome :-D i just spent a weekend freezing my butt off in new hampshire so australia sounds like a good plan right now. i got windburn on my face from snowboarding, come on now lol

jack seems happy to see me again hes snakin around his water bowl. the iguana is not happy, i have to get her to the vet tomorrow :( she still hasnt laid her eggs and shes getting jumpy and sketchy. i've had her for 6 years im a little attatched, wish me luck :cry:

Roy 12-10-2007 06:31 AM

Good luck! We do get rather attached to them don't we. :)

I'd love to go to the snow, never seen it, not here in sunny Queensland. I would have to go down to New South Wales to their snow fields, like Perisher Blue for me to get a glimpse of snow here. Skiing and snow boarding are actually becoming quite popular over here during winter. :)

DianneB 12-10-2007 10:41 AM

This is me and my young BRB
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...best/Red1t.jpg http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...best/baby2.jpg

Yea, ok, I am old enough to know better - WHAT OF IT! :shock:

I have loved snakes my whole life and kept a Common Boa way back when. This fall I decided it was time for another snake

tmmpin 12-10-2007 01:17 PM

Just one snake Dianne? So far this year I done added 3 to my collection. Also a rack that can hold 4 more. Planning for the start of the new year 8)

DianneB 12-10-2007 05:34 PM

Just one (I hope!) I don't need more than one. (<-- trying to talk myself in to "just one")

tmmpin 12-10-2007 05:49 PM

Yeah thats what I thought, and then it became a addiction.
1 wasn't enough, about like the chip commercial, "but you can't stop at one".

sombadfish 12-10-2007 06:39 PM

yeaaa but its sooo cold right now.. there's ice on the pond and a little bit of snow on the ground but its rainy and miserable. hah if you wanna see snow i can send you some pictures ;)

Roy 12-10-2007 07:06 PM

I have seen pictures, but the closest I have ever seen it in real life is when our motorbike seats were covered in ice when we were camping. :?

Nice little snake DianneB. :)

DianneB 12-10-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sombadfish
yeaaa but its sooo cold right now.. there's ice on the pond and a little bit of snow on the ground but its rainy and miserable. hah if you wanna see snow i can send you some pictures ;)

Cold? We just came out of a cold spell and it has warmed up to 8.6F, a good 10 degrees warmer than last week. We have about a foot of snow - want some?

Roy 12-10-2007 07:16 PM

The only need that I have for ice here is to keep my beer cold and rats frozen. :D