Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Escape? (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10348)

hp0544 03-24-2011 06:28 PM

Escape?

First post, but Ive read since I purchased a kenyan.

Are they escape artists??
I have/had a 3mth old that was probably 8" long. Well I didnt see anything moving this AM and he was there when I went to sleep, so I wanted to see where he was hiding and nothing. I have a 20 gallon, with a screen lid and 2 lights on top and a couple of thin wires (digital thermometer) going inside.

As far as I know I have no critters in the house that could have gotten in, could he have climbed out (doubt it cause the sides are taller than him).

Its not very warm outside (there were flurries) looked around the house and nothing, wonder if he will show back up?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated
Thanks!

hp0544 03-24-2011 06:34 PM

I did a search and seen that there have been others, but Im still at a loss on how it got out!

I will look harder. Im just nervous that he got into the wall and will stay there.

hp0544 03-24-2011 06:54 PM

UPDATE!

Found him exactly where i was dreading. He must of had a rough night.....his home is about 3ft in the air on a stand. So he landed on the floor and made his way down a hole in the floor I had privously made for a sat. cable and landed on the hvac duct work in the basement which is about a 1ft from the floor. He was very cold and out of it. Put him back in his home where its warm and he went back to hiding.

I still have no idea how he got out!

lovesnuffles 03-24-2011 07:39 PM

Yes indeed they are escape artists!!! All snakes are, but the littler they are, the more trouble!! Glad you found him so quickly though :) That's a relief. Try putting some cage clips on the lid of the cage. You'd be surprised how strong that little bitty guy is.

hp0544 03-24-2011 10:59 PM

Thanks!

I was a little frantic there for awhile. I felt bad he got out due to my negligence.

I went out and bought 2 more packs of clips (I only had 2 clips total) and while I was at it I picked up another heating pad and 100 watt bulb (instead of the 50) cause the cool side was in the 60's, now he's enjoying life with 79 on cool side and 95 on the warm side.

I still can't see how he got up 12" to get over the side when he's not even that long. I did lower the sand about 1/2" so now he can burrow but I can still see him just a little.

lovesnuffles 03-24-2011 11:30 PM

They climb up the silicone in the corners. They're very good at it too unfortunately

hp0544 03-25-2011 12:15 AM

That makes sense! I will have to move the clips towards the corners more

Thank you very much

lovesnuffles 03-25-2011 04:06 AM

No problem! And don't blame yourself for your snake getting out. I guarantee that everyone on here, if they've kept snakes for more than a year, has had at least one escape on them! I've had several lol. Found all but one.

WiccanWolf88 03-25-2011 06:19 PM

I only have Lucy, but I always check in on her. If I can't find her in the morning, then I will go looking for her. sometimes she looks at me all annoyed when I dig her up...lol. Then at night I will check again and if she's missing, then I'll look again. But, (fingers crossed) I've never lost her. LOL. I would totally freak.

DennyS 04-19-2011 05:21 PM

And if you want to prevent injury to the lil guy please give him a small parachute so he wont drop so far. I'm not sure if he deserves pilot license but maybe a "free fall' metal! ROFL I have had several get out but always found them. Several of my sand boas have pilots license...I'll explain one day!

NASAAN101 04-19-2011 06:14 PM

Denny!
Just say it!!! or i will :D!!
Nikki

WiccanWolf88 04-19-2011 06:15 PM

Yeah, when I put Lucy back in her tank at night I always try to put her as close to the bottom as possible. She will try to climb right back out and just looks so sad! "I want to play longer..." LOL. ;)

NASAAN101 04-19-2011 07:03 PM

WiccanWolf88,
Denny has the same problem with my Pastel Colombian Red-tail Boa, Rocky!! he was the runt of the litter! :D
Nikki

hp0544 04-20-2011 01:45 AM

Come on lets hear the story!!!!!!

NASAAN101 04-20-2011 04:03 AM

Come on Denny! plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I'll cry!!
Nikki

DennyS 04-20-2011 03:04 PM

OK, I have to remember...

My anery Kenyan Sand Boas are very special snakes... when they were very small they were very snappy as all babies are. Every day I would change their substrate (white paper towels) and every day they would bite me repeatedly! Well, as you can figure, I would react with a jerk of my hand and every morning an anery sand boa would go flying a cross the room. This literally happened every day! I would go and pick up the baby and cup him/her in my hand while I cleaned the tub and replaced the paper towels.
This happened so many times I feel my aneries had enough flying lessons to qualify for their license. The best part is that the female anery will pop her babies any day now!!! I get to do it all over again! They are both very sweet snakes and enjoy being held, they will do anything just to get out of that damned wheel chair...lol

hp0544 04-20-2011 03:54 PM

lmao I could just picture that!

Are there any differences in temperment in Sand Boas or is it just a typical baby? I couldnt imagine mine ever being snippy

Ron

lovesnuffles 04-20-2011 04:17 PM

There's no differences. Just a typical baby. In all my experiences with sand boas, except for my indians, only one has ever been sweet, and she escaped a long time ago and was never found.

NASAAN101 04-20-2011 06:01 PM

Guys,
Big Mom and dad, Anery Kenyan Sand Boas, have gotten, out of it now, and I got to hold the dad, after coasting him out of the bin, and he was just happy being with a new person!! At one point i went to put him back and was looking and he had his tail rapped around finger!! and i was like i cant take you with me little guys!! but he would let go, and i thing he wanted to come home with me :)!! I've always loved Sand boas!!

Denny,
Do you have any new photos of mom and dad or not yet?
Nikki

DennyS 04-20-2011 07:15 PM

not yet, I am going to wait till she delivers before I bring her home...then I will..