Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Make your snake famous - Send us your favorite pics (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246)

Roy 03-10-2008 07:32 AM

Saffron looks like shes smiling in that top pic Doug. :D

dwg1211 03-11-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmmpin
Just be sure you don't smell like a rabbit when you handle Saffron.

I'm very careful about that.. 8) when I would feed her rats (2-3) I'd have them in an open container outside the cage door.. after she'd finish one she would strike repeatedly at me (good thing the cage door was between us :roll: )... smelling the rats + my movements triggered strikes.. now I make sure she's away from where I put the rat when I present it, then, if she doesn't just take it on her own, I wiggle it with the tongs and that's all it takes.. then I WASH HANDS and don't handle her for about a week.. 8)

dwg1211 03-11-2008 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy
Saffron looks like shes smiling in that top pic Doug. :D

she does! 8) a lot of people say that when I show them pictures.. must just be her natural person- er- snakeality showing through... (ok.. that was pretty corny.. :roll: ) :lol:

ssgdukes 03-11-2008 03:27 AM

She is absolutly beautiful Doug. It seems like she is happy and I guess she should be considering she is fine dining on rabbits. :lol:

Roy 03-11-2008 10:14 AM

Don't mind dining on rabbit myself actually. :D

Thom 03-11-2008 03:14 PM

Doug.... you said you give saffron once a week and you dont handle her for a week afterwards. Am I screwing up again cuz we handle Hawn the very next day. She hasnt had any problems from it at all and every morning swhen I come down she seems to follow my every move till I go to her and interact with her for a little bit.
Which brings me to my next question..... Since I cant get her out on my own right now (she is just way too big to handle with one arm) will just interacting with her in her cage help alot. She really seems to like it and I dont want her to forget my scent.

MainStick 03-11-2008 06:50 PM

I would think any interaction is a good thing.

After large meals, I generally look for my little guy to elect to come out of his hide and explore as a sign he wants out completely.

My guy started his first few months of his life with 2 different groups of people and I get the feeling he didn't have any real interaction with the first group and was on his own with the 2nd group for 2 months before they realized they actually had a pet snake in the house. Thus he is still a very independant snake and probably always will be. All you can do is try to get them comfortable.

Or you can hire Christy to fly in and put your snake through her "become a Cat - Obedience training" :D

dwg1211 03-11-2008 07:12 PM

as a general rule, I've always heard not to handle them for a day or two after feeding to avoid regurgitation.. to let those digestive enzymes do there thing and 'mushify' (new word?) their meal... 8) since switching to rabbits ('jumbos' weren't my first choice, but they made up the majority of the 'assortment' pack I ordered :roll: ) I give her extra time... she seems to still enjoy daily visits, though.. she'll stay coiled up, but raise her head and come to the side of the tank as if to say, 'hi!'.. after about 4-5 days the lump is gone and I'll handle her gently.. I think any interaction will help avoid them reverting to 'untame'.. as long as they're accustomed to contact they'll be less likely to be spooked by being approached... the bigger mine gets, the less I like the idea of 'spooking' her.. 8)

Roy 03-12-2008 10:29 AM

I had no problem with handling after a feed, but only if I need to and only if I am gentle. It would be a bit like if we were picked up by the belly after a huge meal.:(

Thom 03-12-2008 01:11 PM

Thats a real good thiung to hear. I fed her Mon late afternoon and yesterday afternoon when I was doing the daily routine of changing her water and just interacting with her she managed to climb up through the top of her cage and up and around me. all on her own. She sat on my shoulder (which was a little painful but well worth the experience) for about an hour. It wa like she knew I was hurt and she just wanted to be near me.
smiling I think my little girl is getting a crush on me. ( no pun intended)
:D
Anyone else ever have your snake respond to you like that?