Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   READ BEFORE POSTING - ANSWERS FOR YOUR SNAKE (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442)

Sparcky 10-06-2011 09:59 PM

Apophis (the smaller red one) regurged today. I fed them yesterday and he took his pinkie just fine. I believe the problem was that it was just too big. It was hard to find them small enough. I know I have to wait a bit before feeding him again so his stomach acids can build back up. My question is, should I just wait for next week's feeding?

I have 2 mice about to pop, so getting smaller ones this time won't be an issue.

I know I have read on this but can't remember where and I just reread all the posts I could find on these forums. Sorry for the noob, and possibly repeated, question.

*Sparck*

DodoBird27 10-06-2011 11:16 PM

Uh oh, poor little guy. I've heard you should wait two weeks to feed again, just to be safe. And if you can find a smaller prey. It's hard to get pinkies any smaller though so just get the smallest one you can find. Also, don't hold Apophis for like 48 hours to let his stomach settle and stuff. Hopefully it doesn't happen again!

lovesnuffles 10-07-2011 02:53 AM

Wait 3-4 weeks. That's how long it takes their stomach acids to build back up. If you wanna preserve the pinkies in their small size, you can freeze them and he should still take them just fine.

Sparcky 10-07-2011 06:33 AM

3-4 weeks seems like a long time for a little one barely bigger than a pencil. Poor guy :) It shall be done though. Thank you guys. I really appreciate the help :)

lovesnuffles 10-07-2011 03:27 PM

It seems like a long time, but he'll be fine, I promise! I made the mistake at the pet store of feeding a baby boa a mouse .... The thing was picky as hell and would only eat a white hopper .... Would not eat a pinky or fuzzy, wouldn't eat a brown or "fancy" ((those cute little white ones with the brown and tan spots)) hopper .... Only white. So after two months of her refusing food altogether, I finally said hell with it and fed her what she wanted, even though hoppers were too big for her ... She regurged, I made the mistake of feeding her a week later and her stomach like .... imploded or something D: That's when I did my research and learned about the 3-4 week rule .... I felt bad :( I had actually hoped to bring her home with me at one point .... She was either a hypo, or she was seriously the most gorgeous normal I've ever seen x.x Soooooooooo pink .......

BiranCoren 12-16-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gina83 (Post 5257)
My snake will not eat food is already dead, and i was wondering when I get ready to start feeding it rats what should I do? i don't want the rats to bite him and hurt him but I also don't want him not to eat because it's already dead.

Do not feed live. it is bad for your snake and incredibly cruel for the rat. snakes will always eat dead.

Thom 12-16-2011 05:58 AM

I have run into that exact same problem and the way I have found that fixes it is that I buy live and i euthanize them myself. I use CO2 in a chamber that I built myself. Because I euthanize them myself they are still warm when I dangle them in the vivs to feed. I just acquired a new boa the beginning of Nov and I was told that he absolutely would not eat dead. I fed him the same way I have been feeding my python and he has not had any trouble at all.
If you need plans and pics for a chamber just let me know and I will re-post it all.

DodoBird27 12-16-2011 07:40 AM

Biran, that was a really old post you replied to. It's from March of 2008.

frankywdmn 12-16-2011 07:49 AM

I don't think I've ever seen that user on here before. Haha.