Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   sand boa not eating (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14565)

dwisch3 06-27-2011 05:37 PM

sand boa not eating

so my son has a sand boa that we have had for about 4yrs. he has not eaten since December I think... My dad was in town visting and set the fire sprinklers of in the house and sandy our sand boa was covered in the water but I took him out, cleaned his cage and put new sand but he has not eaten since then.... he has shead once since then and is turning gray now like he is going to shead again.... if anyone has any info on how to get him to eat that would be great. I am so afraid he's going to die. We feed him frozen fuzzies

lovesnuffles 06-27-2011 10:17 PM

What are his temperatures and humidity set at? I hate to say it, but you may have to try live for a while. Since they're just fuzzies, they won't hurt him, so don't worry. We always recommend feeding frozen, but sand boas can be just as picky as ball pythons and it's really annoying. If that doesn't work, take a pair of tongs and use a frozen pinky to tickle the side of his neck with. Sand boas have receptors in their neck that make them strike automatically when they're touched. It usually works best RIGHT on side of their mouths.

dwisch3 06-30-2011 04:35 AM

thank you.. I have used the tongs to try to feed him but he seems to run away from it and just spends his time trying to get out of his feeder.... I guess I will try live ugh. thank you

DennyS 07-01-2011 03:00 AM

It is just a little late to blame breeding or the urge to breed. I agree to try live...though you may find a strike and wrap but no eating...then you can blame either a tooth or mouth problem or breeding urges.

dwisch3 07-01-2011 07:30 PM

thanks... if it is breeding how long does that last and would that cause he/she to not eat for 7mths...

lovesnuffles 07-02-2011 05:23 PM

Breeding would cause them to not eat for a long time ... but by now they should be back on the feeding frenzy ... Now is when the eggs are hatching and boas are giving birth ... So they should all be ready to feed like monsters until the winter season again. Maybe your little one's biological clock is a little slow. But let us know if live works.

DennyS 07-04-2011 10:58 PM

Sand Boas eggs can hatch as late as September meaning could lay eggs now...they incubate for up to 60 days

dwisch3 07-06-2011 03:55 AM

ok he finally ate... I took him to this awsone place called Everything Pet and he put him in a paper bag with a live pinky and he ate him!!!! so I guess he was just tired of the frozen and ready for some freash food!! thank you guys for helping me.

lovesnuffles 07-06-2011 01:26 PM

I figured. Sand boas can be as picky as ball pythons sometimes, unfortunately. But live mice will usually never be turned down by them, unlike with ball pythons. Glad he finally ate for you.