Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   choking snake (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14941)

emily.niloufar 08-21-2011 03:41 AM

choking snake
 
My boa drank an abnormally large amount of water, then an hour later rolled over, writhed, and now i think shes dead. what happened? i am heartbroken. she was just a baby.:(

lovesnuffles 08-21-2011 08:10 PM

That is ... very odd and I've never heard of that before. If you have one nearby, I'd take her to a vet that does necropsies. If you don't want to spend the money, then bury her before she starts to smell and I'm very sorry for your loss :( I don't know what to tell you happened there.

DennyS 08-22-2011 02:12 PM

What was her last meal and how long before was it before this happened?

DennyS 08-22-2011 02:14 PM

Sounds like possibly kidney failure! When the kidney's shut down the large amount of water then goes into the lungs. Could also have been bad water...was the water fresh...please understand I am not pointing a finger...just trying to figure this out for you.

emily.niloufar 09-21-2011 05:30 AM

choking snake
 
i always change my pets water daily, so it shouldnt have been the water, and my corn snake gets the same kind of water and gets her water changed just the same as the boa did. her last meal was only hours before she died, which is why i thought maybe she choked. but it was just a fuzzy, shed eaten a million of them before.

Greg Nel 09-22-2011 10:55 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss. Is there any way your snake could have come into contact with an exposed wire or part of any electrical accessory in your enclosure? These do not only burn but can electrocute and cause the heart or other organs to fail. The fact that she had drank water is highly unlikely the cause as she drinks small quantities and only as much as she needs. If she was really sick the probability that she would drink is also reduced. Being wet on the other hand could have increased the risk and seiousness of an electrical contact.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.