Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Guess the sex (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14965)

Greg Nel 09-11-2011 06:23 PM

Guess the sex

I have read article after article on how to sex my red-tail boas. Some say the male has the longer tail and some say the female has the longer tail. One even says the males get bigger than the females which flies in the face of everything i have read. I dont have a vet nearby to probe them and would not dare do it myself. I wont try popping either. Even if popping is relatively harmless i dont want to cause them discomfort. I know the above 2 methods are the only to "accurate" methods. 2 of my boas are just over 2 years old and the 1 is around a year. The tails are different and i would appreciate an experienced guess at a means to sex them by sight.

lovesnuffles 09-12-2011 10:56 PM

Sexing boas by sight is really easy actually, because their spurs are a dead giveaway. If you look up some pictures, you can see the difference. Females will have smaller spurs that sit deeper in the tail. Males have large, thick spurs that stick out.

Greg Nel 09-13-2011 06:58 AM

Thanks, i will do that tonight. My "male", Castro's spurs are so pronounced that if he runs his tail over your skin you can feel them. I have noticed that my snakes are very particular about me touching their tails and pull it away as soon as they can, the rest of their bodies is no problem. Why would this be?

Greg Nel 09-13-2011 08:05 AM

Sorry, i forgot to ask but which boa has the longer tail? Or does this differ from snake to snake depending on health, feeding etc? And please confirm the females are bigger than males as adults.

lovesnuffles 09-13-2011 02:53 PM

Females are certainly bigger than males in most cases. You do get the freak boas that don't follow the trend though. And as far as tails and which is longer, I honestly don't think that's true. Looking at Brandy's tail length, you'd think she was a male, but she's definitely a female.

Castro is most probably definitely a male if his spurs are that huge.

And a snake's tail is very sensitive. None of them like their tails touched. That's why they say that you can control pythons by gently biting their tail, and the way to get a snake to move out of your path is to touch its tail.

WiccanWolf88 09-13-2011 05:20 PM

That is weird! Lucy doesn't mind if I touch her tail; in fact, she is always hooking it onto my body somewhere to grasp. LOL! Personalities! :rolleyes:

NASAAN101 09-13-2011 06:46 PM

Pastel boy dosen't either!! but if he not in the mood he lets you know!!
Nikki

Greg Nel 09-14-2011 01:44 PM

I think i will give the gentle bite of the tail a miss. I have not been in a hospital for a long while and would prefer to keep it that way. Touching the tail to move my babies definetly works though.

lovesnuffles 09-17-2011 06:55 PM

Lmao! A ball python won't put you in the hospital I promise. But you won't need the tail biting trick for a python as small as a ball anyways

Greg Nel 09-23-2011 09:08 AM

Thanks now i am "prepared". If they have very gentle temperaments as juvenile and have no issue with being handled is it probable they will stay this way as they grow?