Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Home again at last! (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15009)

Thom 11-20-2011 05:31 AM

wow sorry to hear about the rotator cuff surgery you are going to need. The normal recovery period is about 2 months before you can really do anything and about 6 months for a full recovery. Now you might say "well how the heck did he build a complete ( and really nice I might add ) habitat just days after surgery?" Well the answer to that is really simple. You notice I said the average recovery times before.... Well I have had 13 heart attacks 10 stints a bunch of broken bones a leg amputated ( and re-attached successfully ) and 4 major neck surgeries. To make a really long story short I have to deal with a lot of pain. I have to admit though, my son-in-law helped me with a couple of cuts because I couldn't get the wood to clamp right so I could cut it.
Now as for the aggressive behavior....
Well with Hawn that lasted for about 2 months. She got so bad that she was striking at the glass when someone would just walk by it. I have to be honest with you. They way I got her past it was just ignore her when she was doing that. I still took her out of her viv... at least 2 or 3 times a week. and I still handled her as much as I could. I didn't let anyone else handle her at all during that time because I didn't want them to get bit. I have always used a grab stick whenever I get any of my snakes out. I use it to keep the snakes head out of reach of my hand while I reach into get her out and as soon as I touch her with my hand she would always calm right down.
Im not even sure how long ago that was but maybe someone can find my old posts about it.
My main advice is just take your time with her and dont rush her. She will eventually calm back down and show you lots of lovin again. Becareful though, dont want her to show too much lovin those hugs can be killer. lol

Thom 11-20-2011 05:36 AM

Hello Nikki. Nice to meet you

WiccanWolf88 11-20-2011 05:44 AM

Thom-
It's weird with Lucy because when she wraps around my neck, I have to kind of force her to lock on. I have never dropped her, so she does not seem to have that fear. She really likes my glasses, too, for some reason.
Wow! you have had a lot of injuries. I had to have carpal tunnel surgery about two years ago on both hands and the day of the surgery I was typing on the computer. My hands hurt so bad before the surgery that the little pain from it was nothing compared to what it was. LOL.
Lucy is a little short of 3 feet, so she's still little now. :)

DodoBird27 11-20-2011 07:47 AM

Hey, welcome back Thom. :)
Your older threads won't be found unfortunately. A while back we got totally mobbed and overrun by bots and when the site got fixed up it involved deleting all previous threads. So, they're all gone.
My God, you're either the unluckiest or the luckiest person on the planet. Heart attacks, stints, surgeries, and an amputation?! Wow. And here I am whining about getting some blood drawn!
As for cage plans, I've always liked this site. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for or if any of these are even big enough for a burm, but it's worth a try I guess. You could always try Googling "Burm cage" and look at images to get some ideas too.
http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/cages.shtml

Greg Nel 11-20-2011 02:19 PM

Thanks for the "good news" regarding the shoulder. About the brocken bones and heart attacks etc. i was wondering if you still race NASCAR and parachute with a refuse bag? You either extremely lucky or blessed.

Thom 11-20-2011 04:43 PM

Ok I guess i have to make something really clear for everyone. Luck has nothing to do with any of it. I am the most blessed gut that has ever or will ever be. smiling
As for the leg they were actually able to reattach it and that was clear back in 1963 and it was all totally experimental. I was in the hospital for just over 9 months. Enough of all of that though. lol
All of the sights that I have seen so far hasnt really help[ed at all with any designs so I think I am going to just design my own again like I did for Hawn when we first got her. As I am building it I will do a thread here if anyone likes so I can show pics and progress and hopefully help anyone else that might want to do a new cage also.
If anyone is interested in seeing the one that I have already built or the gas chamber I use to euthanize the prey when I get it home just give me a shout and I will post another thread showing all of that. As anyone that knows me and knows how I am about my snakes I dont ever feed them live prey and I dont ever buy dead or frozen of any kind. I know everyone says its perfectly fine to feed frozen.... after you have properly thawed them that is.... But I just like to make sure mine get nice and fresh. After all you dont go to the store and buy a frozen t-bone for yourself do you? smiling

Greg Nel 11-21-2011 08:49 AM

Thom as i said under your other thread i am very keen to learn from your design and obvious building skills. Please share the photos and ideas.

lovesnuffles 11-21-2011 09:17 PM

Heyyyyy Thom and Jen! Really long time, no see!! We've haven't seen any burms around this joint in a while :( Pictures?????

Thom 11-21-2011 10:57 PM

Well we just got our new house 2 weeks ago yesterday and we have been living out of boxes for the previous 6 months but I will get some pics of both Hawn and Russell.
and thnx for the wlcm back. smiling

Thom 11-22-2011 01:30 PM

No berms? What has become of Doug and Saffron?