Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Building a new VIV (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15014)

Sparcky 12-01-2011 07:38 PM

Got my chamber built yesterday. Instead of a water lock, we used 2 one-way aquarium valves on the lid. We tested it on an old rat (poor thing had a tumor the size of a small lemon on her belly) We could not think of a humane way to put her out of her misery as she got to where she could hardly walk around her cage. She was one of our best producers for a long time and deserved something comfortable. It worked beautifully and gently. Thank you for the idea.

Thom 12-02-2011 02:39 PM

Im glad I could help

DBG 12-09-2011 05:29 AM

How do you install the glass? I'm thinking of using your outline for a guide here to build me a viv for Storm. She's only 2 ft right now but heck, I might as well just build now and move her when she's ready to move out of her small tank. :)

I have a friend who is an engineer and can draft something and help build but not sure how to do the glass part of installation. I have a couple other friends who seem confident to be able to do the glass. So......since Houndini comes to visit. I just wan tto ensure it's secure.

Thom 12-09-2011 09:51 AM

Well there are a couple of different ways you can do the glass. On Hawn's viv what I did was use a type of trim that actually holds the glass in. With Russell's viv there is a slot that the glass slides into. Either way will work. You just need to be sure that the glass is strong enough that if the snake pressed on it with its body it wont explode the glass out.
I cant do it till Jen gets home from work but I will take some close up shots of how the glass is on Russell's viv.
I also wanted to mention that I dont use glass. I actually use Lexon. Its much much stronger and if the snake does break it there isnt any showering of glass.

DBG 12-09-2011 06:11 PM

Thom,

One of my other friends asked me if I could use something other than glass but I didn't know what. How thick is the lexon? That is another thing I'll need to know.

Thanks for all your help. I have learned alot from you and appreciate what you contribute to the form. I am rather new as you can tell sinc eyou returned. My first snake (a red tail) I recieved last year Oct as a youngling but she died of endocarditis and I have a new red tail that is thriving and doing well. So want to get a viv up for her when she's ready to move.

Thom 12-12-2011 05:00 AM

To be totally honest with you I WOULD NOT use glass at all. If you do there is always the threat of it getting broken. not just by the snake after it gets big enough but more so by outside means..... Such as you or someone is running the vacuum and as you are just sweeping away you dont realize how close you are to the glass and BLAMMO! you put the handle of the sweeper right through the glass. Or, I dont know if you have little ones or know anyone that has little ones that come over but if you do then glass is a really bad idea. its just too easily broken and can cause so much damage to the snake or anyone else that may be around if it breaks. The Lexon I used for Hawns is 1/4 inch thick. Now 1/4" isnt really strong enough to hold her after she gets a little bigger. But I can always change the 1/4" to 1/2" or even 3/4" when that time comes. You really dont have to use any type of glass if you don,t want to. You can use hardware cloth. Make sure it is a tight enough mesh that your snake can't get through it. The reason I use glass is cuz my vivs are totally sealed tight. I keep them in my living room and I don,t want them to stink the place up. I have charcoal filters that keep fresh air pumped into the vivs and keeps it relatively scent free.
I guess it just really depends on how much you have to spend on it all. Hawn's viv cost me aprox $600.00 to build myself and that was about 5 years ago. So it can get real expensive depending on the materials you use.
I have really wanted to draw out some sketches for you so you can see exactly how I did it. I just havent had much time lately.
If there is anything in particular that I can help you with just ask me and I will see what I can do for you
Good luck