Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Please Help - Boa having a TERRIBLE shed (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15156)

Haggardphunk 01-12-2013 02:01 AM

Please Help - Boa having a TERRIBLE shed

Hey everyone,
In 2.5 years my boa has never had a shed where he didn't get it all off in one piece. He hasn't eaten in close to a month. He is visibly thinner. His belly seems to be turning a reddish tint. I soak him in the tub, use solutions, but he can't seem to finish this shed. I'm really worried that ifnhencant shed, he won't eat and become I'll. Please help.

-jake

WiccanWolf88 01-12-2013 04:15 AM

Why hasn't he eaten in a month? I know that boas can go awhile without eating...but the red tint is very odd. Lucy has a hard time shedding pretty much all the time; in the almost 3 years since I've had her, she has probably had maybe one really good shed where it all came off in one piece (I have it in a bag on display).
Like I said, the red tint is odd and if he is visibly getting thinner, he may have some sort of infection...I would take him to the vet and have him checked out.
I hope he gets better!

Haggardphunk 01-12-2013 06:56 AM

I think it might be a combination of things that are stressing him out. One, the bad shed. Like I said, he has always had very co Pete fast sheds. We also recently got a dog so the new scent might be stressing him out?

I gave him an hour in the tub tonight and rubbed off most of the skin still left. I a,mooing to try and feed him a small rat tomorrow and hope that he takes it while we are gone for the day.

I am stressing.

dino221 01-13-2013 02:17 AM

How old is the boa, could it possibly think its time to breed? What are the temps and humidity level at in the enclosure? In my experience a pinkish tint to the belly sometimes means it s going in to shed or it's a bit too warm. I do not think the dog would be stressing it out too much, if at all really. Has it dropped weight quickly or is it visibly skinny from not having a good feeding response?

WiccanWolf88 01-13-2013 03:27 AM

I know some people have mentioned to not feed their snake when they are in blue, but Lucy seems to have no issue with it. I feed her on a two week schedule if she is in blue/shedding or not. The dog probably would not be an issue, as long as it can't knock over or stick its nose in the tank.
Try to feed him tomorrow and see if this gets you anywhere. Your stress might be reflecting off of him.

Haggardphunk 01-13-2013 06:21 AM

He is visibly skinnier.

After his shed-ease solution bath last night all of his skin is off. I put a small rat (usually eats large ones) in his tank and covered it in a blanket so that it is dark even if my roommate comes home.

Hoping to wake up, uncover the tank, and have no rat in there.

WiccanWolf88 01-13-2013 10:08 PM

Do you feed him live or frozen rats? Have you changed anything recently with him? I noticed that if I change something for Lucy, I have to slowly introduce it. She seems to not respond very well to drastic change.
And I thought I'd mention that she pooped almost on me last night for the first time. I was helping her with her last bit of shed and she was draped with her tail over the edge of the tub and hanging toward the floor. I heard this "plop plop" and thought it was water leaking from somewhere. I was thinking "oh s***!" then looked and it was a literal translation. lol:rolleyes:
At least i know that all the shed came off where it was most important besides her face.

dino221 01-14-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiccanWolf88 (Post 53115)
I know some people have mentioned to not feed their snake when they are in blue, but Lucy seems to have no issue with it.

I've heard about the same. I atleast offer food during shed, if they take it they take it if not its fine. Atleast I am giving them the chance to eat. But they rarely ever refuse a meal.

Try to feed him tomorrow and see if this gets you anywhere. Your stress might be reflecting off of him.

If he doesnt eat wait a couple days. You don't want to be over doing the attempts to feed and further stress the boa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggardphunk (Post 53115)
He is visibly skinnier.

After his shed-ease solution bath last night all of his skin is off. I put a small rat (usually eats large ones) in his tank and covered it in a blanket so that it is dark even if my roommate comes home.

Hoping to wake up, uncover the tank, and have no rat in there.

You could try putting the boa in a rubber maid container thats smaller then its enclosure but still not uncomfortable(With air holes ofcourse). When my carpet wasnt a strong feeder id leave her over night in a deli cup/ small container with the mouse/rat and it was usually gone the next morning.

Edit- the bold wasn't directed at Wiccan, just going off the post.

WiccanWolf88 01-15-2013 04:42 AM

oh no issue :)

Haggardphunk 01-15-2013 05:51 AM

I am going to the vet with my dog tomorrow. Going to talk to jim tomorrow and see if be wants to see the snake.

I am worried but only because I love my animals to death.

Gave him another shed solution bath tonight. Almost all of his skin is off: maybe he'll eat this weekend.

How long can they go without food? I feel like of he was life threateningly hungry he would eat regardless of stress