Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Reptile Care notes-101 (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3858)

DennyS 03-24-2010 11:38 AM

Reptile Care notes-101

I have been reading up on some care sheets and I have come to the decision that they all (or at least most) lack something that folks new to reptiles must know. To our experienced reptile owners, please add other items that are also important in your mind as well.
WATER BOWLS: All care sheets point out that "fresh clean water must be available at all times". Yes that IS correct, but what defines "fresh and clean"? Lets look at fresh... I do my cleaning on Saturdays and I have an extra 2 water bowls for each cage in use. I fill each water bowl and every day I look to see if it hasn't been flipped over. Every second day I rub my finger along the bottom to see if it is slippery (white slime). If it is I replace it. White slime is in fact an algae that grows in normal house water. Snakes and other reptiles can smell it and will not touch the water. I also replace any water the snake has soaked in or defecated in (naturally).
Substrate: Which ever substrate you use, it must be kept clean... don't just LOOK...SNIFF too!! Carefully I might add.... I lay my hand on top of my snake and I stick my head almost in the enclosure to smell what I cannot see. A clean environment will help you reptile to be healthy.

Aikidoka 03-25-2010 12:58 AM

Waterbowls

Have 1 or 2 big enough to soak in, at the warm and cool sides respectively, and have a small water bowl, too small for the snake to fit in, designated only as drinking water on the cool side as well. I use small aquariums for my snakes to soak in, as they are rather large for conventional bowls. Using square plastic totes Makes it harder to flip them over, and putting them on the enclosure bottom with the substrate around it keeps snakes from getting under them. Soak bowls should provide ample room for the snake to fully submerge, and if only half filled, this will cut down on overflow messing up your substrate.

lovesnuffles 03-25-2010 04:46 PM

Denny! If you don't stop posting stickys I'm gonna take a stick after you! D<

raptor667 03-25-2010 07:21 PM

Would always recommend boiling any water you use for your snake...kills all algae and bacteria. Also totally agree with Denny, the sniff test is way better than just looking.

Also if adding anything to your reptiles enclosure disinfect / boil or cook it....just because you bought from a shop doesn't equal clean.

This gonna be a long topic....lol

DodoBird27 03-26-2010 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovesnuffles (Post 32360)
Denny! If you don't stop posting stickys I'm gonna take a stick after you! D<

Well, can't the make your snake famous sticky be taken down? Isn't that what the pet pics section is for?

DennyS 03-30-2010 04:04 PM

LoveSnuffles!

After I move to Alabama I am going to take a side trip to (you know where) and bend you over my knee and SPANK you!!!!! lol We will have to do lunch first though!! lol

NASAAN101 03-30-2010 04:05 PM

Guys,
Denny is just trying to help New members ok! Lovesnuffles, i loved what you said, Denny! If you don't stop posting stickys I'm gonna take a stick after you! i show that to my mom and we were both Gigglen!
Nikki

DennyS 03-30-2010 04:05 PM

I never thought of boiling the water.... darn! Thanks Raptor!!

DennyS 03-30-2010 04:06 PM

NIKKI!!!!!!!! don't push me LMAO I'll spank you too...ROFL

NASAAN101 04-01-2010 04:35 PM

Denny,
You would so have to catch me first! :P
Nikki