Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Reptile Care notes-101 (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3858)

DennyS 03-24-2010 12:38 PM

Reptile Care notes-101

I have been reading up on some care sheets and I have come to the decision that they all (or at least most) lack something that folks new to reptiles must know. To our experienced reptile owners, please add other items that are also important in your mind as well.
WATER BOWLS: All care sheets point out that "fresh clean water must be available at all times". Yes that IS correct, but what defines "fresh and clean"? Lets look at fresh... I do my cleaning on Saturdays and I have an extra 2 water bowls for each cage in use. I fill each water bowl and every day I look to see if it hasn't been flipped over. Every second day I rub my finger along the bottom to see if it is slippery (white slime). If it is I replace it. White slime is in fact an algae that grows in normal house water. Snakes and other reptiles can smell it and will not touch the water. I also replace any water the snake has soaked in or defecated in (naturally).
Substrate: Which ever substrate you use, it must be kept clean... don't just LOOK...SNIFF too!! Carefully I might add.... I lay my hand on top of my snake and I stick my head almost in the enclosure to smell what I cannot see. A clean environment will help you reptile to be healthy.

Aikidoka 03-25-2010 01:58 AM

Waterbowls

Have 1 or 2 big enough to soak in, at the warm and cool sides respectively, and have a small water bowl, too small for the snake to fit in, designated only as drinking water on the cool side as well. I use small aquariums for my snakes to soak in, as they are rather large for conventional bowls. Using square plastic totes Makes it harder to flip them over, and putting them on the enclosure bottom with the substrate around it keeps snakes from getting under them. Soak bowls should provide ample room for the snake to fully submerge, and if only half filled, this will cut down on overflow messing up your substrate.

lovesnuffles 03-25-2010 05:46 PM

Denny! If you don't stop posting stickys I'm gonna take a stick after you! D<

raptor667 03-25-2010 08:21 PM

Would always recommend boiling any water you use for your snake...kills all algae and bacteria. Also totally agree with Denny, the sniff test is way better than just looking.

Also if adding anything to your reptiles enclosure disinfect / boil or cook it....just because you bought from a shop doesn't equal clean.

This gonna be a long topic....lol

DodoBird27 03-26-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovesnuffles (Post 32360)
Denny! If you don't stop posting stickys I'm gonna take a stick after you! D<

Well, can't the make your snake famous sticky be taken down? Isn't that what the pet pics section is for?

DennyS 03-30-2010 05:04 PM

LoveSnuffles!

After I move to Alabama I am going to take a side trip to (you know where) and bend you over my knee and SPANK you!!!!! lol We will have to do lunch first though!! lol

NASAAN101 03-30-2010 05:05 PM

Guys,
Denny is just trying to help New members ok! Lovesnuffles, i loved what you said, Denny! If you don't stop posting stickys I'm gonna take a stick after you! i show that to my mom and we were both Gigglen!
Nikki

DennyS 03-30-2010 05:05 PM

I never thought of boiling the water.... darn! Thanks Raptor!!

DennyS 03-30-2010 05:06 PM

NIKKI!!!!!!!! don't push me LMAO I'll spank you too...ROFL

NASAAN101 04-01-2010 05:35 PM

Denny,
You would so have to catch me first! :P
Nikki

NASAAN101 04-02-2010 03:32 PM

lovesnuffles,
If Denny sees that were both in trouble! you know that!
Nikki

lovesnuffles 04-02-2010 05:31 PM

LMAO! It'll be alright Nikki

DennyS 04-02-2010 10:12 PM

That's it ... I'm done!

NASAAN101 04-02-2010 10:27 PM

Denny,
Come on lovesnuffles and I were joking a round, Jezz! You know we love you.. your like a dad to me!
Nikki

lovesnuffles 04-03-2010 02:58 AM

Lol! Yeah Denny :P

NASAAN101 04-07-2010 04:06 AM

Guys,
dumb question, how long should you keep a snake in the bath, and if you have a big tub, can you set in The back of the tub, with the snake in front or no? this only reason, i asked was i had a friend ask me!
Nikki

DennyS 04-15-2010 12:57 AM

I'll see you on sat Nikki!! lol

NASAAN101 04-20-2010 04:21 PM

Guys,
Dumb question, how long should you keep a snake in the bath, and if you have a big tub, can you set in The back of the tub, with the snake in front or no? this only reason, i asked was i had a friend ask me!
Nikki

DodoBird27 04-21-2010 01:02 AM

Probably no longer then an hour, I usually go for 30min.

NASAAN101 04-21-2010 01:33 AM

if you have a big tub, can you set in The back of the tub, with the snake in front or no? this only reason, i asked was i had a friend ask me!
Nikki

dracomeister 04-21-2010 02:04 AM

i dont see any reason why you shouldnt, that is unless your snake is over 6 foot and at that point you shouldnt be handling it alone anyway

NASAAN101 04-21-2010 03:25 AM

Guys,
Ball Pythons Top out at 5-feet max! so, i dont know why i cant as long as i let him be, right?
Nikki

dracomeister 04-21-2010 06:19 AM

srry i didnt kno we were talking about a ball python haha...yea you should hav no probs or better yet your friend wont hav any probs

NASAAN101 04-21-2010 03:55 PM

guys,
This was for both of us! thanks guys!
Nikki

slight 02-05-2011 12:47 AM

i found some water treatment stuff called reptisafe its supposed to add nutrients to the water and remove chlorine... we usually use filtered water through a brita pitcher then put the required drops in and the water is still clear... we even put it in the waterfall water to help prevent the pump from breaking down from mineral buildup

WiccanWolf88 02-11-2011 03:01 AM

Clean Water

There is this pet store in town hat has had problems in the past with rades and such from the humane society. I will go there for Lucy's food because it's the only place in the area that is nearby. Anyway, whenever I go there, I know that I shouldn't go look at the reptiles, but I can't help it. And I am sad to see that they always have dirty water, if no water at all. It is very sad. :mad:

lovesnuffles 02-11-2011 01:52 PM

Pet stores like to use the "guilt" tactic to sell you animals. It's sick and wrong, but there's no stopping it except to have them shut down. When I bought my Whiskey, she was in the cage with a dirty water bowl and it wasn't very clean either. Well, I told the guy about it and he goes "Maybe you should buy it, then you could care for it how you want." I was appalled. Ah well, she's just lucky I wanted a bigger snake anyways :] Lol

raptor667 07-28-2011 09:19 PM

dracomeister's comment on the if your snake is over 6ft then you don't handle them alone. This really only applies to heavy bodied snakes. A 6ft corn snake and a 6ft Boa are completely different in what they can do to you. But as a guide It's usually 1 person per meter of snake till you get to 4 meters....after 4 meters your dealing with an animal so strong that short of weaponry your stuffed if it puts the squeeze on you ( or bites you in the case of the king cobra :eek: )

As for the bath question....I would not get into a bath that I would consider the right temp for my snakes...it's to cold. Your looking at the most slightly cooler than you would bath a baby in and usually colder for non tropical snakes.....sorry to be a buzzkill Nikki.

DennyS 07-29-2011 11:11 AM

You should never get into the tub with your snake...Nikki I have told you that numerous times!! Some snakes do not like water and a stressed out snake is not something I would want to share a confined space with that has water associated with it...not to mention that puts possibly nasty germs "up close and personal" with some very private parts!!! THINK!!!

WiccanWolf88 07-29-2011 06:44 PM

Denny, I discovered that for myself last year when it was ridiculously hot here. I had this little 3 foot tall by 6 foot across pool that was big enough just to lie in. Well, I thought Lucy would like to go swimming with me the one night (it was still like 90 degrees at midnight) and she totally freaked out and was breathing heavily; she struck at me and grabbed a little of my hair. I was like, "holy shit!" Yeah, that was NOT a very good idea on mommy's part. :( I was apologizing to her and finally got her calmed down enough to put here away. Man, that was a learning experience for me! :rolleyes:

lovesnuffles 07-30-2011 12:13 AM

Lol, I'd never get into the water with my snakes ... I tend to not trust them as much when they're in the bath too. Some of them like to strike as soon as the water hits them ((Brandy being the main offender)), so I have to be very careful about putting her in the tub. I try to make her think that's where she wants to go lol.

DodoBird27 07-30-2011 03:02 AM

I'd never get in the water with PJ simply because he gets a little to comfortable in water and poops everywhere every time I put him in it xD

lovesnuffles 07-30-2011 06:21 AM

Haha, Whiskey does that too, almost as soon as she hits the water. It never fails!

raptor667 07-30-2011 09:47 AM

After the kids had finished in their paddling pool and before I emptied it i gave all three of my snakes the option to go for a swim. Queenie loved it ( as always ), Milla swam from one side to the other...and alice lowered herself into the water, touched the water and was back up and around my neck and shoulders in a matter of seconds.

For those of you who haven't seen it check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpOxZMmUxdw and you will see ow much Queenie loves water. :)

Greg Nel 07-30-2011 11:16 AM

Thanks very much for recognising us novices. We really do need all the help and advice we can get on the basic essentials. Please remember we share your love of snakes but not your expertise. Based on the simple advice in your thread i have totally adapted my snake enclosure and cleaning ritual.

WiccanWolf88 08-01-2011 04:20 PM

Lucy doesn't mind when I hold her and just run water on her from the sink. :)

Greg Nel 09-10-2011 03:41 PM

Just for interest on the boiling water issue. I attended a basic health workshop recently and was shocked to hear that we think that boiling water in a kettle sterilizes it. Think about it: as soon as the water reaches boiling point the kettle switches off! Water needs to remain at boiling point for between 3 to 5 minutes to be properly sterilized. I now boil my water on the stove 1 gallon at a time and then bottle the excess for a maximum of 3 days.

DBG 11-25-2011 06:16 PM

I had asked the Vet (via email) on the boiling water but never got an answer. I have decided to give it a try, boiling for 5 minutes.

Without Storm sitting in that is... :D

lovesnuffles 11-25-2011 06:34 PM

I have a water filter ... I figure if the water is good enough for me, it's good enough for my snakes ... I mean, they drink WAAYYY worse in the wild ...

NASAAN101 11-26-2011 12:02 AM

guys,
IS it save for you to sit in the water with your snakes???
Nikki