Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board (http://boatips.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas (http://boatips.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help-have to choose between boas and my kids!!! (http://boatips.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8938)

abaylon 03-13-2011 06:21 PM

Help-have to choose between boas and my kids!!!

:mad: So I am hoping someone will have some insight for me. I am in the middle of a battle for visitation with my two oldest daughters. One of the major issues is my snakes. I have 2 Colombian red tail boas.

Dr. Squeeze is a 7 foot male; Shakira is a 4.5 foot female. They are both gentle and docile as can be and have never struck at or bitten anyone in the 5+ years we have owned them. They live in a large tank/aquarium that is secured with a chain link as well as being strapped down with two cargo straps. Neither one has ever escaped.

My daughters' grandparents, who have custody, made me agree to move the snakes to another location whenever my kids are with me. Well, this simply isn't feasible. First of all I don't have a traveling setup for them, nor can I afford one. Without a secure place to keep them, I don't have many people offering to house them. My local pet store said I could keep them in one of their empty tanks but I am concerned about my snakes picking up mites or other diseases from the other reptiles around them.

What can I possibly do or say to defend myself and my snake ownership?? Remember, I'm not just trying to convince some uneducated schmuck here, I am trying to prove myself to a court of law. Any help is greatly appreciated!

lovesnuffles 03-14-2011 04:15 AM

My boyfriend and I recently had a scare with this with his son. His son's mother is a ***** and even though my boyfriend is an excellent father, she's trying to take custody away from him anyway she can, even though she lets their three year old on the BACK of four-wheelers without any security or safety at NIGHT in the dark in the freezing cold ....

So we took pictures. We have pictures of each snake set up, with the locking lids shown clearly, as well as the door their locked up behind. Pictures are everything. If you can prove these snakes are out of reach to your kids, then you're golden. What can they do? You're being a safe and responsible pet owner. Not to mention, a dog would be soooo much more dangerous to them than those snakes are. This may require a bit of creativity on your part, but it can be done. If at all possible, you may even have to get a lock to the door they're hiding behind that only has ONE key and trade the key for the kids everytime they come over. It may seem like bad husbandry for the snakes, but it's not really. They'd be fine without any interaction whatsoever for up to two weeks. It'd just be like you went on vacation, but just be sure to leave them PLENTY of water.

I hate for people to lose their animals over stupid things like this. Like, when people get pregnant and have to give away their animals. Stupid. I'm pregnant and none of my animals are going. People say "Well you're not gonna have time to take care of them once the baby arrives." Oh really? And what if I ever want another baby? Am I gonna have to get rid of the first one because I won't have time to take care of it? Gah, people are dumb.

sidvicious 03-15-2011 01:37 AM

You could argue that if child services would have no trouble with the children being in the house with the snakes because of the security that is in place, then the grandparents should not have an issue and as love snuffles said a dog would be more dangerous as they are not locked away for hours at a time.

I have had my 9ft female boa cleared to stay by child services because i have the sliding doors locked when ever she is in her viv and my snake has escaped and has even bitten my husband, but as I have shown them that I learnt from the escape and triple check the lock throughout the day they were very happy to sign off on it.

Good luck with your battle.

frankywdmn 03-16-2011 07:14 AM

I would personally choose the snakes. Haha.

But good luck though.

lovesnuffles 03-16-2011 03:00 PM

Lol Franky, that was my first thought too. "Snakes don't talk back .... Easy choice!" But it's different when it's your own kids vs. someone else's kids. If it was someone else who was refusing to let THEIR kids come over because I had snakes, I'd say tough luck.

algar 03-16-2011 08:00 PM

and they poop way less often...

lovesnuffles 03-17-2011 02:47 PM

Well it sounds to me as though her kids are potty trained already? So that's not quite so bad ... They can poop all they want as long as they can wipe themselves

frankywdmn 03-21-2011 04:31 AM

Ehh, kids just aren't for me.

WiccanWolf88 03-21-2011 06:22 PM

Abaylon- it sounds like the grandparents will try anything so that you don't see them. Like was mentioned, dog attacks are way more common than snake attacks. As was also mentioned, if you can prove with pictures they are safely away from the children, then you should be fine. Even if SS has to come to your house and see where they are kept, then this is fine. It's bull crap, but people are ignorant. Even cats can be dangerous.

lovesnuffles 03-21-2011 07:21 PM

Yeah, cats carry a bacteria that gives you Cat Scratch Fever which is no fun!! D: I've had it when I was very little x.x

But the courts will try to rule in favor of the biological parents as often as possible. So there's no way the kids' grandparents can keep them from you if you take the correct precautionary steps.

And I can't say kids aren't for me because I have one in the oven and I have a soon-to-be step-son as well o.o

WiccanWolf88 03-22-2011 06:07 PM

I have to say that kids are NOT for me. LOL, at least my boyfriend agrees with me in that regard, so we are good. Lucy's our baby. :D