View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Reptiles USA magazine has a wonderful article on reptiles and kids together. If you could find it and present it, I'm sure it might help some. But I thought you or someone else had posted this before and we'd gone through the run down ....

First off, those snakes pose no threats to those kids. They're teenagers ... They're bodies are almost fully grown and they definitely couldn't be overpowered at this point by your two snakes. Maybe if your snakes were a little bigger and you had some small girls, but no, not at this point.

Having reptiles around will teach your kids to be more open minded about things they never liked before, as well as help them understand creatures of nature a little more. You could get a dog, yes, but does that really help? No. Snakes act in captivity the same as they would in the wild. They can see the snakes for what they truly are, not some domesticated, subdued animal that bends to our every will. Snakes teach respect and compassion. I mean, come on, if you can give compassion to a snake, you can give compassion to anything.

Lemme try to find you some material on it though:

http://www.streetdirectory.com/etoda...ds-pffpee.html

http://historylist.wordpress.com/200...ed-by-animals/ ((I thought this one would be helpful in the pet facts. Notice how many deaths that dogs cause on average every single year, and yet they only have ONE pet snake fatality on here ... And it was a burmese python ... Much larger snake than a redtail boa. Your kids are better protected with the snakes than the dogs.))

http://www.reptilechannel.com/kid-co...-reptiles.aspx ((There is a page two on this one. Don't skip it! Some juicy stuff on it!))

Good luck in court and I hope you show those grandparents who's boss!! D:< That just really ticks me off!! I'm currently pregnant with twin boys and people keep telling me that I need to get rid of my snakes because they aren't good to have around babies. I tell those people to mind their own business and I'll raise my boys however the hell I want, and if that includes going and picking up a boa contrictor at the age of two, then so be it. If they want to do things differently, they should go have their own damn kids and take care of them how THEY want! D:< Thankfully, though, I only hear it from outside influence. Both my mom and my boyfriend's mom have no problems with my snakes and even kind of like them. Even if they didn't like them though, there's not much they can say in my case. My reptiles live out in the shed, not in the house.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)