Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 03-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Default corn snakes

Do I have to hibernate corn snakes? And when making a habitat should I stain and vanish the inside of the habitat? I'm not sore there should be varnish inside. Or staining it.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

No, you do not have to hibernate corn snakes unless you are planning to breed them. And I don't know what you mean about staining and varnishing? A custom made habitat? No, you wouldn't stain the inside .... I'm not sure about varnishing.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 PM

Default snake habitat

Yes, a custom made habitat. It's being made out of a solid wood new
entertainment center. The top is open in the front and back. The back is going to have very small holed copper mesh, and the front will be glass doors. There will be shelves on each side with large drift wood branched for them to climb up to hide spots. Their area will be 5 foot by 4 foot, and 24 inches deep. There will be a small waterfall,also. The shelves on the bottom will be used to storage.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Since mites love to lay their eggs in the crevices in wood I would apply several coats of varnish or clear lacquer... Be sure it is cured and has no sent before allowing the snake back in! To hybernate for breeding remove the snake and put into a lager tub (we use 32qt Sterilite, with substrate and water and secure the lid tightli, Put weight on each end!! No heat but keep at 60 degrees for 2 months! Put her back into a warm cage in spring and add a male for 7 days in, 3 days out, another 7 days in etc for a month.

Last edited by DennyS; 04-19-2011 at 05:16 PM.