Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Hard Times :(

So as most of you know, I haven't been having good experiences with my snakes lately For those of you not on Facebook, here's the extent of it:

I've lost both of the Rosy boas and the Spider ball python. They've all died, one by one. The fire ball python and my anery boa got relocated to a friend in LaARK. My iguana is currently being baby sat by some more friends in LaARK. For now, they're all in good hands.

All I'm left with now is Brandy, Whiskey, Sangria, Jack and Arty, the pastel ball python I got who was supposed to be a girl but is in fact a very well endowed male. Each one of them seems to be doing better now that I've had some help in getting them treated and they each have a good meal in them. Sangria is looking a little bad, but she ate for me tonight and should be shedding in the next few days, so hopefully she'll bounce back. Especially now that most of those blood ****ing, life stealing nasty little bugs are dead. I'm hoping Kyle and my mom will continue to help me keep them treated. If they will, we can get them back in tip top shape.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM

i'm so sorry to hear of you loses, but i'm glad things are starting to look up. i don't know what you are using to treat the mites, but i had excellent results with the ivermectin put on topical, it's safe oviously used as directed, and can be used on snake and enclosure. for me the ivermectin was the most convienent treatment and fast. if you or anyone ever would like to try this method i will give you the directions for usage, also you can buy the product at fleetfarm, for like $25 and i hardly put a dent in it. it goes a long way. goodluck and i'm glad you have help with treating them.
spotted python[Lew]
woma[Toby]
male normal ball python[Jiggs]
female pastel ball python[chloe]
Diamondback water snake[Jayda]
sand boa[spooky]
western hognose[Java]
bearded dragon[Be Be]
super tiger dwarf retic[Zander]
albino Ball Python [Jasmine] AKA, Jazzy
western hognose[Josie]
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm sorry to hear that snuffles But I'm glad the others are doing good. Were the mites really that bad? Wow!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Sorry about your losses snuffles Good to hear the others are doing better now though. I hope Sangria improves more too. Good luck with the mites, kill em all!

Last edited by DodoBird27; 08-19-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks guys. Lihed, I'm using a permethrin mixture of my own making. It's basically the same as Nix lice spray, but it came from a farm store in a huge bottle and like you, I've barely put a dent in it. I'd be interested to know the Ivermectin treatment though. Just in case.

Dodo, you have absolutely no idea ..... you've seen pictures of Riesling right? How red he was and beautiful? I'm not exaggerating when I say he had so many mites on him that he looked like a Mexican Rosy boa instead of a Pioneer. I don't know how they would have killed him so fast though, even with so many. I think it was actually the maggots that killed him. I didn't get a chance to examine him. I have no idea how maggots got into his cage, but they completely decomposed Chianti. She was a horrible sight. I couldn't help but sit there and cry and cry, after first puking my guts up. I hope no one ever has to see anything that horrid and disgusting ever. I imagine the effect of seeing her in that state was about the same as finding a dead human body. Traumatizing ..... it really was bad.

Good thing Franky didn't send Sabina to me. I hadn't been out to the shed since the last time I fed the snakes, so I had no idea how bad things were, nor did I really want to know since at that point there was nothing I could do until someone came to help me. I preferred to be blissfully unaware rather than stress myself out over something I had no control over. Is that wrong of me?
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
Old 08-18-2011, 02:26 AM

Wow, I'm sorry Snuffles. I really hope things work out. How did they get mites so bad? Just bad luck?

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)
Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Hope all will be ok and tomorrow will bring sunshine and good health to your babies. Be positive.
Kind regards.
Greg
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks Greg. I just went out and sprayed all of them and wiped down the rack. I found two live mites on the towel when I wiped down the rack, but most were dead and the snakes all looked good. Sangria still hasn't shed though.

As for the ones being babysat, Abby ate a mouse today and the guy taking care of her and Char said she's definitely feeling better because she's developed an attitude toward him lol
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM

i'm not here for a few months and as usual, chaos ensues. i'm sorry as my absense is clearly to blame
Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about all your trouble Snuffles. I lost several snakes this past year as well. Several I couldn't begin to explain what happened and 2 that I take total blame for.
I know how sickening it can feel to lose pets that you dedicate so much time and effort towards.
I hope you get those mites wiped out. I think there probably one of the worst draw backs to keeping snakes.
It seems like no matter the precaution you take you always end up with them.
I hope you get everything back to normal.