Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Need some Red-Tail Advice

I recently got a red-tailed, who I named Sadie from a women in NY. I was told she is about 6 mo. old and eats 2 live mice every week. Well, I waited several days to let her get used to the new house smells (she has her original cage and her things) and proceeded to feed her. She ate one mouse. She has not eaten since then and I don't know if I should be worried. I have read up on this species and I don't know if she is "hibernating" because it's getting cooler or if she is stressed about eating or if she is finicky. She is very docile, loves being held, likes to chill in her her tree and water dish, and seems curious when a new smell or person is around her.

Is this normal behavior? I only have experience with two corns. My male is 4 yrs old and my female is about a year. They both eat frozen/thawed mice not live. I have attempted to give this option to Sadie, I have even "brained" both frozen and live mice. and it just seems to stress her out, she doesn't seem interested. I also tried feeding in a feeding container and in her cage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Only feed her one mouse or rat that is properly sized. It should just be slightly wider then the widest part of the snake.
How long are you waiting between feedings? Once a week is the usual standard.
Also make sure you got some sort of hide. If the snake feels insecure it probably wont eat. Make you are also giving it a day a night cycle not just leaving the lights on.
Check your temps often.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 PM

Yes, I have done all that. She has a hide, day and nite lites, temp ok. And I try once a week.......
Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 AM

When was the last time you fed? I only feed 1 appropriate sized prey and I do frozen/thaw. One thing I hav enoticed is that if the frozen/thaw is not up to body temp, then Storm won't take it. I also put a human heating pad under the feeding bin to keep the bottom warm so it's just not cold surface. I'll put the lid on, turn lights out and leave for a bit and she's usually got it down if she hasn't already started. I've also read that you can leave the prey overnight if you haven't done that either.

Another possibility is being in blue. Do you know when the last time she shed?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 PM

she shed right after I got her and had a giant poop and then she ate. This is the only time since having her that she has done all of this. I got her Columbus Day weekend so about 5 weeks now.

BTW, good idea about the heating pad under the feeding container.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM

I got a new red tail and she ate the day after getting her then seemed to realise her enviroment eas different and didnt eat for a month and a half. I then made sure the rat was the same colour as her first one and wham no problems since. Maybe this was a coincidence but perhaps look into it. Maybe she is just fussy?
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM

I feed Lucy every two weeks; right now, two unthawed hoppies. I use her old tank and it seems to be okay.
Every snake has their own personality; Sadie might still be adjusting to you guys. She also might get into a new rhythm with her new family.
As long as she stays as active as you say she is, then I don't think you have to worry too much.
Keep us posted.