Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM

Default Escape?

First post, but Ive read since I purchased a kenyan.

Are they escape artists??
I have/had a 3mth old that was probably 8" long. Well I didnt see anything moving this AM and he was there when I went to sleep, so I wanted to see where he was hiding and nothing. I have a 20 gallon, with a screen lid and 2 lights on top and a couple of thin wires (digital thermometer) going inside.

As far as I know I have no critters in the house that could have gotten in, could he have climbed out (doubt it cause the sides are taller than him).

Its not very warm outside (there were flurries) looked around the house and nothing, wonder if he will show back up?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 PM

I did a search and seen that there have been others, but Im still at a loss on how it got out!

I will look harder. Im just nervous that he got into the wall and will stay there.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM

UPDATE!

Found him exactly where i was dreading. He must of had a rough night.....his home is about 3ft in the air on a stand. So he landed on the floor and made his way down a hole in the floor I had privously made for a sat. cable and landed on the hvac duct work in the basement which is about a 1ft from the floor. He was very cold and out of it. Put him back in his home where its warm and he went back to hiding.

I still have no idea how he got out!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes indeed they are escape artists!!! All snakes are, but the littler they are, the more trouble!! Glad you found him so quickly though That's a relief. Try putting some cage clips on the lid of the cage. You'd be surprised how strong that little bitty guy is.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 PM

Thanks!

I was a little frantic there for awhile. I felt bad he got out due to my negligence.

I went out and bought 2 more packs of clips (I only had 2 clips total) and while I was at it I picked up another heating pad and 100 watt bulb (instead of the 50) cause the cool side was in the 60's, now he's enjoying life with 79 on cool side and 95 on the warm side.

I still can't see how he got up 12" to get over the side when he's not even that long. I did lower the sand about 1/2" so now he can burrow but I can still see him just a little.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

They climb up the silicone in the corners. They're very good at it too unfortunately
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 AM

That makes sense! I will have to move the clips towards the corners more

Thank you very much
Old 03-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

No problem! And don't blame yourself for your snake getting out. I guarantee that everyone on here, if they've kept snakes for more than a year, has had at least one escape on them! I've had several lol. Found all but one.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
Old 03-25-2011, 06:19 PM

I only have Lucy, but I always check in on her. If I can't find her in the morning, then I will go looking for her. sometimes she looks at me all annoyed when I dig her up...lol. Then at night I will check again and if she's missing, then I'll look again. But, (fingers crossed) I've never lost her. LOL. I would totally freak.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

And if you want to prevent injury to the lil guy please give him a small parachute so he wont drop so far. I'm not sure if he deserves pilot license but maybe a "free fall' metal! ROFL I have had several get out but always found them. Several of my sand boas have pilots license...I'll explain one day!