Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Go Back   Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board > Snakes > General

Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default So I literally don't know anyone else ...

Who would get a kick out of this story ...

So ALL of my frozen feeders ((All freaking $200 worth of them)) spoiled and went bad when the electricity went out at my old house and I've been having to buy live to feed my snakes, because frozen from pet stores is too damn expensive, until I can reorder from Bushhill Rodents ....

Anyways, so I go to the store I used to work at, and Bo, one of the guys I used to work with, got my mice for me and then asked "You need me to kill em for you too? For old time's sake?" and I said "No thanks. I use that as my new stress reliever *evil smile*" and so I took my live little bunch and went home. So I got a slightly smaller rat than usual for Brandy because she hasn't eaten in a long while and I didn't want her to regurge a big meal, you know? So I'm not really used to killing smaller rats and this thing was very limber, able to climb up his tail and nearly bit me, so I had to hurry and shake him down and hit him in the head to knock him out. Well, I accidentally hit him a little too hard and he went flying out into the mud. Thank God I DID hit him so hard though and knocked him out cause I had to go around the gate to get him and he had plenty of time to get away. The only problem I had with getting him is that apparently, my dog just LOVES the smell of rats and mice ... So much to the point where she'll try to eat them out of my hand ....

So as soon as she saw the rat fly, we both looked at each other and it was like something out of a movie with us racing towards it, only funnier, because I'm pregnant and can't run lol. I ended up getting to the rat first though and somehow it was undamaged and not even dirty from all the mud, so Brandy still got to eat.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 AM

Lol! That's awesome

Ugh, I could just imagine the smell of un-frozen feeders...

So you knock out your rats before you feed them? Does it kill them or just stun them for a few minutes? (don't be mad but I always feed live, they don't do well with frozen)

1 Ball Python ~ Izzie Monster
1 Red Blood Sumatran Python ~ Knuckles Xcalibur

SMU Grad! ~Biology & Chemistry
Baylor College of Dentistry! ~D.D.S.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 AM

Lol, i can totally see that happening xD That's pretty funny. But eww, $200 worth of spoiled rodent, that's got to be pretty nasty.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM

lmao snuffles that's hilarious...

izzie.. we feed live too.. omega is still on pinky rats so they don't really do anything but sqeak when jon gets them with the tongs... but the larger ones for rambo he'll knock out first just in case.. we've tried prekilled and frozen and it just doesn't seem to work for either snake.. they seem to love to squeeze their prey before eating... sometimes i wonder if omega is gonna let go... lmao

currently snake sitting:
1 ten year old Ball Python [Rambo]
Old 06-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Slight, my ball (izzie) is up to small/med sized rats, and my blood (knuckles) is up to large rats (almost ready for bunnies ) Anyway, feeding is getting to be soo stressful. It was fine when they were eating little mice and even the small rats, but now.... It's like a full-on, balls-to-the-wall, feeding frenzy, battle to the death when we feed. I can't help but to feel sorry for the rats (they bleed like crazy, and it's traumatizing to watch). So do you guys just bonk them on the head? Twist the neck? Or what?
It would be hard for me to put their death directly in my hands, but I am getting so tired of hearing their little hopeless screams

1 Ball Python ~ Izzie Monster
1 Red Blood Sumatran Python ~ Knuckles Xcalibur

SMU Grad! ~Biology & Chemistry
Baylor College of Dentistry! ~D.D.S.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Izzie, I fed live between my frozen buys before too and then a mouse bit Whiskey ... Now I have no qualms about knocking them upside the head!! I just slam mine into a wall ... as bad as that sounds, it gets the job done pretty well. Some of them actually die, but most are stunned. The snakes seem to like the stunned ones better because their legs still try to run away, even though they can't and the movement really gets the snakes going. But you're right. It is horrible to watch them eat live ... Especially when they squeeze too hard and the eyes start popping ....... *shudder* I tried to take a few videos at one point lol. Nope, didn't work out. Too gruesome!!

And omg, you guys have no freaking idea how bad that smell was .... I could smell it for days and days, even after we had gotten rid of all the rats!! Oh, it was horrible. And there was blood everywhere ... At least Bushhill does a really good job with packing their rats. Cause I'd have hated to see them after some of the packaging came loose .... ((You could smell it that badly THROUGH the packaging!!!))
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 06-30-2011, 04:52 PM

Ewww yuck! Lucy will eat the unthawed just fine. Never had an issue with her. She does like to squeeze them, though. This is the part that takes her a while; once they are "properly squeezed" to her liking, then she will eat them and it's pretty quick. She's still getting two small/medium size hoppers, but a few more sheddings and she should be big enough for a small rat, I guess. It's hard to get ones that are the same size from the pet store where I get her food; they have them mixed a lot. It ****s.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thats why ALL of my snakes eat frozen thawed.......

If I had to kill them myself I would do it via an air pistol shot to the head or neck....very quick and clean ( unlike braining them on a wall ). Have Shot rats for pest control before and a mid head shot is very effective....as for the lead pellet aspect you can get steel shot for the same price.....but frozen is still cheaper.

Snuffles....I know house insurance here covers freezer contents does yours????? Might pay for your re-stock.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 AM

jon usually just bonks them or hits them with his shoe... the python is not on as big of rats as we think he should be... he's been being fed mostly mice.... when he got here we started feeding him rats and he's starting to get bigger... i don't like the braining or killing it but the way i look at it, if we don't, our snakes will die since they depend on us for food....

currently snake sitting:
1 ten year old Ball Python [Rambo]
Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I agree with the part about taking a responsibility to our pets to feed them but the benefits of feeding frozen over live are massive. Also you have to take in the killing of the prey item in a humane way. I'm guessing most of us eat beef......would you prefer the cow die humanely or to be swung face first into a wall, which may or may not knock it out let alone kill it.

Thinking about it....wonder how a high output tazer would work out with regard to getting an instant kill on a small rodent..........hmmmmmmmmmmm!