Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Go Back   Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board > Snakes > Boas

Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 AM

Default Husbandry questions...

Okay folks...

My snake shed today and POOPED like a dog! But is less than 24 inches still as I'm feeding small hoppers.

However, the shedding didn't go so well and I'm frustrated and wondering what I may be doing wrong. She/he did not shed well last time either. So I changes substrate from cypress mulch to repti-bark to give it more substance to crawl up to shed easier.

Enclosure Arrangement:

In a 20 gallon I beleive (24 inchs wide, 12 inches wide and 19 inches deep). I have both an UTH and basking light (blue bulb 100w) which puts the hot side at 90 degrees. The cool side is 70 degrees so pretty much a good condition I think.

But I'm not sure if she/he is not shedding well for something else?

What should I do next? I did feed and she/he ate. Then I moved to a soaking tank for a bit before I will move to her enclosure for the evening.

Maybe I am doing this wrong but I'm conserned of not having a complete shed and not sure what to do....
Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 AM

One other question here...

where do you normally put the water dish? Warm side or cool side? Or in the middle?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I normally put my water dish in the middle. If you put it directly on the heat, it dries out so fast ...

Try spraying her enclosure every day when you notice her going into the blue and until she sheds. See if that helps.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 AM

I do that Snuffels, regularly, not just during shed. I live high and dry in the Rockies.

It seems to be a section in the mid-body where the problem is. I'm looking into a different hide as I think this one is a bit too smooth to rub against.

Snake is very active when I handle her/him. Which is a good sign. Very active before feeding and enjoys being out and on me. As many of you find your own pets, cling to you when you tell them it's time to go back.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 AM

I know...it makes you feel sad. You want to hold them longer...Lucy has issues shedding every once in awhile, too. I will just give her a warm soak and help work at it; she seems okay with that. It can get frustrating, though.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

There are products you can buy to help them shed easier. You just put it in their bath water
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 AM

It's a little reassuring to know it may not be me that is at fault in this situation. I'm just afraid of de ja fu all over with this new one (in other words, I don't want my 2nd stnake to die, even though I had no control or knowledge over Princess' health issue when she died.).

I just can't bear the thought...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Trust me ... With how many animals I've lost in the past nine months, I can definitely agree with you. But you just have to remember that it's not your fault that Princess passed and you're doing everything right with this one, so any death will be a result of circumstances out of your control. The chances of this one dying also are very slim, though. Did you get her from a pet store or a breeder? :S
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 PM

Princess was bought from LLC Repties out of California at the Reptile Expo last year.

My current one was bred locally. I could tell the person I bought it from is not just a seller. She bred her female and had 4 left. She would not let me take one of the smaller ones because it had not started eating yet but the other three have and let me pick from those ones. She also had a nice display cabinent for her female too.

She also was watching her brother's boa which was fat and you can tell how he was keeping care of that one! So I feel that I bought from someone who at least knew what she was doing and not out to just sell them to anyone.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Does anyone use Cypres Mulch for substrate? Do you buy from a pet store or buy from a place liek Home Depot, Lowes or even WalMart? Seems the prices are better if I bought the bigger bags from the above chains than just a small bag for $10 at the store.

How often do you replace the substrate? Currenly I do it monthly.