Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 AM

Default Building a new VIV

Ok I have found all of my old pics from when I built Hawn's viv and the chamber to euthanize her prey. I was going to go ahead and post all of them and maybe it will help anyone else. If you want to see the pics here just let me know and over the next cpl of days I will get it al setup.
BOATIPS.COM ROCKS!

1 Albino Burmese Python ( Hawn )
1 Bull Terrier Boxer Mix ( Diego )
1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Thom please go ahead and post the pictures and info as i am keen to build new vivs for my bigger snakes. I also am desperate to avoid escapes as my design leaves a bit to be desired regarding security features.
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 11-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Ok its been a long time since I have tried to post anything of length on here so I am going to start out by HOW TO BUILD A GAS CHAMBER. I know it sounds a lot more diabolical then it really is...
First I want to begin by saying that I do not nor will I ever again feed any of my snakes live prey. I have not only seen way too many pics of snakes that have been killed by a tiny little mouse cuz the snake wasnt hungry when it was fed so that gave the mouse the opportunity to bite the snake or even eat the snake. I had that happen to me about 25 years ago with a small redtail boa we had.
Now you might ask.... Why not buy frozen, they are a lot cheaper and safer. My answer to that question is this..... When you go to the store and buy a nice t-bone, do you buy it frozen? No you dont. You buy it fresh and eat it while it is still fresh. Also to add to my reasoning... I have no idea how long ago that rat was frozen and if it was healthy when it was frozen. Now I have been told over and over again that the freezing process would take care of anything that the rat might have had that would harm my snake but again I say poppy****!
Therefore I always buy live rats and I keep them for at least 24 hours before I euthanize them in my gas chamber to make sure they arent sick.
Now your next question is I'm sure... Why not just bash the rat or daze the rat or whatever else you might come up with to kill it. My answer to that is.... Why? The poor rat is already giving his life for my babies why make him suffer anymore then it has to. After building the chamber the cost is a fraction of a cent to use. I just filled up my Co2 bottle Fri after I used it for 4 years! Thats right I said 4 years. It cost me less then $5.50 USD to fill the bottle and it took me over 4 years actually to empty it.

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM

Default Gas Chamber cont...

This is a pic of the main things you will need. They include....
1 Co2 bottle. I use the 20 oz. Paintball gun bottle
1 10' section of aquarium plastic air hose
1 Seal-able container that will be big enough to hold the prey
1 One container without a lid. I use an ice cream bucket
1 adapter with a shut off to hookup the bottle to the chamber
Now you can see in the pic that there are few other things but this list is the main stuff you will need. I will ge to the other stuff shortly

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM

You will need to drill a hole in the removable lid for your chamber so that you can put a hose fitting in the lids. the air hose attaches to this fitting just by pressing it on. There is no reason to clamp the hose on. If you get the proper size fitting for the hose it will work just fine and not have any leaks.
Now to conect the fitting to the lid I just used a nut on the back side of the fitting with a washer so I could tighten ot down as tight as I could get it.
(Sorry the pis is so blurry but its the only pic I have of this step and hopefully it at least shows you what I am talking about here)Oh and by the way in this pic you see I used a clamp on the hose so it wouldnt come lose but I found after having to take the clamp off every time I put the chamber away I didnt need the clamp at all. It works great without it

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM

The next step it to drill a hole in the lowesy portion of the chamber as possible but make sure you have it high enough to fit the nut on the back side so you can tighten it. This hole is for the quick connect fitting that will fit the flex hose adaptor that you got when you bought your tank. Its the curly hose with the shutoff on it....

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Now that you have all of the hard work done its pretty simple from here on out.
You attach the air hose to the lid fitting and run that into the container of water, This is so the oxygen from the chamber will be able to escape the chamber but not get back in cuz the water prevents it from doing so.
You attach the flex hose with shutoff to the quick connect fitting at the bottle edge of the chamber. This is used to get the CO2 into the container and since CO2 is heavier then air it will force all of the oxygen out of the chamber and allow it to fill with gas.

This is what it looks like when it is all hooked up

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-21-2011, 01:40 PM

When you open the valve to release the gas into the chamber be sure to do it very slowly. If you do it too fast you will just blow the lid off the chamber and waste gas. And you all know how guys HATE to just waste gas! lol
You only need to leave it slightly cracked so you have a very slow but steady flow of bubbles in the container that the exhaust hose goes into.
You also only need to leave the valve open for about 10 seconds or untill the rat lays down. I leave them in the chamber for only about 5 mins after I shutoff the gas. I then feed it to the snake. Its fresh and still warm.

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-21-2011, 03:40 PM

Ok I am now going to attempt to describe the construction of the viv. Now I cant really give any complete details because I did this like 5 years ago and to tell you the truth I just dont remember all the details. If anyone actually wants to build this or one like it just let me know and I will try to help however I can.
I will show some completed shots of it and then go through the steps

This is looking into it from next to the feed door. You see the soaking lagoon on the right and the hide on the left. By the way.... she looooooooooooves to soak.

This shows the opposite end. Notice the second hide? The one here is the warm hide and the other end with the lagoon is the cool side.

This shows the lighting from the top plus the front of the viv.

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 PM

I found this step by step while searching online for ideas to build my own for Storm.

http://www.reptileexpert.org/diy-vivarium.php