Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 AM

Default Feeding

Ok I am eing really confused. I know I know I know it doesnt take much to confuse me. But! I need some input on a subject that I have discussed with others a lot.
Just what is that subject, you ask?
Well I'm really glad that you asked me that cuz I'm going to tell you.
I have read in a lot of places that you should always put your snake in a different cage, viv, container or whatever to feed them. Now as most here know I have 1 big snake and 1 very BIG snake. I have had Hawn for over 4 years now and I have never taken her out of her viv to feed. I always feed her in the same place that she lives everyday. Now before you tell me Im nuts I will give my reasoning for this. After Hawn eats I do not disturb her for about a day. This being said if I fed her in diff location she would have to stay there for a day after she is done eating. Now jen has been bit by her once and thats it. no one else has even had a strike unless she was in her viv striking at the glass. When I do get her out I always use a probe stick to touch her head and keep her from striking me while I touch her with my free hand. I dont know that she would strike at me but when you are dealing with a snake over 12 feet long you have a few rules that you follow.
Now with Russell we have only had him for 2 weeks and just fed him the first time this past monday. I also fed him in his viv.
So tell me am I nuts or is there a method to my madness? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

1 Albino Burmese Python ( Hawn )
1 Bull Terrier Boxer Mix ( Diego )
1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-23-2011, 05:16 AM

I've read that if you are consistant in feeding at the same place (aka, dinner area) then you should be alright. The key is feeding in the same location at all times.

I have always heard and read to feed out of the enclosure and have done that with Storm, and you know, she's still just a pip squeek. I've alway swaited 30 mins after she downs the meal before attempting to move her back into her cage and have never had an issue. Amazingly, she just doesn't go to the ground, she'll crawl back up the side of the enclosre just as I put the top on. She just doesn't want to lay and "idgest"

Is there a way to allow for a "feeding chamber" attached to the enclosures? That way you are "outside" but yethave a consistant feeding area?

Just a thought...
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 AM

Well yeah there a re a number of ways to have a feeding chamber attached and you just have a door in it that goes into the regular (living) chamber. Then after they feed you just leave the door open so they can go back over on their own. After they go back over you just close the door when you notice.
But as I said before Hawn is well over 12 feet long. It makes it rather tough to just pick her up and move her around after she has eaten and she hasnt given me any problems at all. yet

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM

I have read every artical, point of view, opinion, scientific mumbo jumbo etc and believe there is no perfect answer. I have had Castro for 3 years now and he is 7 feet. I feed him in his enclosure and on rare occasions in a feeding box while i clean his tank. It makes no difference to him. He is docile either way. I far prefer feeding him in his own home. If you were to do everything the experts say you would feed in a seperate tank and then not disturbe them for 24 to 48 hours. Impossible.
Feed where its convenient to you!
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM

What the experts say..... You know some people would call us here the experts. smiling
BOATIPS.COM ROCKS!

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-23-2011, 02:26 PM

I've always fed my ball python,which I do understand is not near the size of your Hawn, outside her viv in a cardboard box. When you feed them outside their viv, they do not know what to expect when you open the viv and won't go instantly into feeding mode. After Snickers is done feeding I pick her up, hold her and let her crawl around for awhile before putting her back in her viv. I've never had a problem except she doesn't want to go back in her viv.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:32 PM

Oh I totally understand Sammy. Problem is that hawn weighs in at about 45 lbs now and Russell (redtail) weighs in at around 20 pounds. Im not positive with either. We just got Russell and havent weighed him yet and its been a month since I weighed hawn. What I do know though is that I have never had Hawn even seem like she wanted to strike me when I get her out except for a few years back she was striking at everything she seen. We got her past that problem though.
If I fed Hawn in a cardboard box it would have to be a Fridge box. lol She is well over 12 feet long

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I feed my older girls in their vivs. So no, you're not crazy. I know how to pick them up so that they distinguish feeding from handling. I feed the little ones in separate containers though.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 11-23-2011, 02:39 PM

hmmmmmmmm Ok Loves appreciate the input. As for not being crazy though? Come on girl you dont know me that well. LOLOL

1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Lol, I never said you weren't crazy!! You keep snakes! According to Animal Planet and half the world's population, we're ALL crazy

Oh wait ... I did say you weren't crazy ... I take it back!
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)