Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 12-16-2011, 03:36 AM

Default Promoting Frozen.

Before I go on a rant about how frozen is better i would like to know if anyone hear does feed live.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:40 AM

sorry i dont know how to delete this and put it in the the right heading so i'll leave it here and repost it
Old 12-16-2011, 07:51 AM

I'm pretty sure that most people on this site feed f/t.

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)
Old 12-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yeah, or pre-killed ... There may be one or two that feed live, but the majority feed dead mice
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

For Christmas my daughter and I are going out today with frozen/thawed/warmed rats and tossing them into fields where we see hawks..we have a lot of red tailed hawks around here. I have two large freezers with all sizes of frozen mice, rats and hamsters! We love our critters in the fields as well as our enclosures!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:35 PM

Sounds fun!

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 AM

That's great news I'm not a fan of live feedings I don't like the fact that the rats suffer so much.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM
dwg1211

I will feed live. Not a preference, but I need large prey items for my snake. It's not easy finding rabbits and chickens. I've done mostly frozen/thawed, but a large rat is about $10 and I would have to feed Saffron about three to make a meal. I'm getting ducks and chickens from an Asian supermarket. They come plucked and dressed (no inerds) with the heads on. Saffron scarfs them right down, but she needs the visceral tissue for proper nutrition. I gave her live chicken a few months ago, no prob. I don't like for the animals to suffer, either.. but predation is a fact of life. I don't like the thought of putting animals in a pillowcase and whacking them against a hard surface either. That's how many people prekill the prey. It seems cruel, but it's God's design for these animals to kill prey. By keeping animals in enclosures, we take away the 'fair play' when it comes to hunting. Our prey animals really don't have a chance to get away. That's the part I don't like, but I have yet to meet a vegetarian snake, so we have to make concessions as predator owners. I will buy from rodentpro.com when I can afford to. You have to order in bulk to fill a shipping container. That means freezer space. Unlike Denny, I only have one snake. I would have to fill half the freezer with dead rodents. Where I live, that's not an option. For the record, I prefer/recommend frozen thawed feeding.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 AM

I was thinking that I had posted to this already but it must have been a differnt one I guess. lol Thats what happens when you get old I guess. lol Anyways.....
I really feel compalled to reply to this so strongly because I really dont agree with feeding my snakes live prey. there are more then just one reason for this too. the number one reason being that I have had to pay a very expensive vet bill because a mouse bit one of my snales one time. The mouse had been in the tank for less then 30 seconds when it attacked my snake. As Doug said we take them out of the wild when we have them in our homes and our lives. That being said I have no problem at all prekilling my snakes food. However. I dont put it in a pillow case and bash it on the edge of the counter as ( just as Doug stated ) many people do. I have built a gas chamber that works off of CO2 and I euthenize them that way. Its quick clean and above all else very humane.
Again as Doig said it gets very expensive feeding Hawn and Russell fresh kill prey. I have to pay about 12 for Jumbo rats and hawn eats 3 of them every 2 weeks. Now Russell only eats 2 but tharts a total of 120.00 USD a month just for the two snakes that I have. The reason I still have them on Rats instead of moving them up to bigger prey is cuz I guess I have a problem with bunnies and chickens and things like that. Rats no problem doing tham at all. lol
Now why not feed them frozen you might as? Well I'm glad that you might have asked that... My reason is cuz although everyone says that even if the rats were sick when they were frozen, the process would destroy anything that could harm the snake. Thats fine but I dont belive in the 3 second rule either ( drop something on the floor. If you pick it up within 3 seconds its still good to eat lolol ) I guess you might just say my pets are spoiled. Heck the dog gets some really nice cuts of steak at least once a week too. lol
Sorry for rambling on but I just really feel strong about my pets and their safety and comfort.
Jus to say I do disagree with whoever wants to feed live or frozen or dead or whatever as long as the animals best interest is at heart thats the most important thing to remember.
Oh byw there are plans on this site for my chamber and if anyone needs help with one let me know.

1 Albino Burmese Python ( Hawn )
1 Bull Terrier Boxer Mix ( Diego )
1 Columbian Redtail Boa