Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 AM

Default blind snake

my husband brought home a western hognose that got ran over, he is blined now. his eyes bolged out of his poor little head , i was wondering if his eyes will grow back or if he will be blined forever? And he has not feed in 2 weeks, he has been drinking as for as I can tell, and he has pooped. . I have tryed several times to get him to eat and tryed several kinds of food. It is coold here in Tx right now so I cant find a toad anywhere!! does anyone know where I can find a toad?? I will be so sad if I lose him becouse i can't find the right food. Pleas can anyone help me????
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

He will be blind forever, but it won't hinder him. Snakes don't have the greatest eye sight anyways and rely more on smell to "see".

Go to a local pet store and ask them for a mouse. The mouse should be no bigger than the widest part of his body. So if he's still a baby, ask for a pinkie. Preferably live for now, since he's wild caught. You can switch to frozen later. Frozen will be best for a blind snake anyways. So he's not trying to strike and keeps missing the mouse.

Normally, this forum will try to discourage you from keeping a wild caught snake and encourage you to go and buy one from a breeder because it's healthier, but given the circumstances, I think it would be best for the snake if you kept him. Just make sure you know that hog noses are rear fanged and do have a mild venom. If you're bitten, your hand might swell up, but don't freak. It won't hurt you. Just make sure you don't become allergic to it, because that can happen.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 AM

Also, especially since he can't see, take the mouse out of his cage if he doesn't eat it right away. You might also want to consider a heat source.

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)
Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for yor help! I have a light on him and have tried a mouse but will keep trying! :-)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

May I ask, what do you have him in to keep him safe? What type and wattage is the light?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Default What I have him in

I have him in an aquarium (40 gal) and the light Ida 10 watts
Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 AM

I don't know if a 10 watt bulb is enough. Does it keep his daytime temps 75-80 F, with a basking temp of 85-90 F? I don't know if you have done this already, but you might want to check out some care sheets online. Also, you might want to keep in touch with Denny, as I think he keeps western hognoses.

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)

Last edited by frankywdmn; 12-22-2011 at 05:25 AM.