Go Back   Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board > Snakes > General

View Poll Results: Was this helpful?
No, I Didnt Use It 10 18.87%
Yes, Well Done 43 81.13%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 PM

Default READ BEFORE POSTING - ANSWERS FOR YOUR SNAKE

SNAKE WONT EAT SECTION:

If your snake wont eat there are many things that could be wrong. ry fixing some of the following things. Temperature should be about 80 for most snakes and some need 85-90 degrees. Cage Decorations, does your snake have enough space, and a place to hide and drink and "play"? Is he/she losing weight? It could be its just mating season where some snake species naturally just dont eat. Is the food right for your snake, it shouldnt be bigger than the largest part of its body, although you can feed it slightly larger when moving up a step like Fuzzy - to hopper. Does your snake have any injuries or sickness? Some snakes unfortunatly are Wild caught and get shipped to you with parasites. Stress from shipping the snake itself can cause feeding problems.
-If you still have problems and ALL the top questions are answered post a topic about your snake having eating problems and we will help you out.

Heres what i do for feeding my picky ball python.

They eat at night so after about 12 hours of having his cage light, turn it off, leave him for a hour. unthaw the mouse but KEEP IT DRY they tend to like it better. Go in there, try not to run around his room a bunch, and try to be very discreet to get it all ready with the cage cover off. Then, hopefully hes hiding or in his hide box. Dangle the mouse in the entrance of the hide box, kinda dangle it and make it look like the mouse is looking for a house and is digging around the entrance. Do this for atleast 5 mins. If he hasnt come, lift out the box and check is he was moving twords the mouse. If he was, it was working but you need to do it longer. Put the box down and try although they feel exposed now he wont strike im thinking. Try it again the next night.

Thats what i did for my picky ball python and she took it within 20 sec, and now i get her to eat every time.

Hope it works.

SHEDDING SECTION:

http://www.boatips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1246[url]

-If this doesnt help or work Post a topic and we will help

These are just two of many common subjects we get asked and have to answer OVER and OVER so many times i thought i would give the full list of some answers lol. And more Sections that anyone wants i will slide in as this will be hopefully kept a sticky post.

-Jordan

-1 Ball Python
-2 corn snakes ones my brothers
-2 guineas
-1 rabbit (sister)
-1 Blood Python (brother)
-2 leopard geckos
-1 dog
Old 01-23-2008, 04:57 AM

Default eating habbits?

hey!
well i just need to ask a quick question.
i did receive a young ball python on my birthday 2 months ago..
so! in 2 months (every 12 days) Wisey ate piece of RAW HAMBURGER :shock: , instead of mice... knowing that all mys search on how to feed her only lead me to "Snake eats mice or birds"..

anyway, she stoped eating, and now she is now fasting for the last 17 days!! :!:

i dont know if the weather is effecting her, since it is really damn cold in Dubai these days, which is not the normal weather!

so! any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 AM

That is unusual. I would expect that the cold weather will put her off eating, but I wouldn't be in the habit of feeding her raw mince, I don't think it would have the nutritional elements that would be contained in a rat. :?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Raw meat can't be good. Think about the effects it has on us. Not to mention like Roy said, the nutritional value.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:22 PM

My snake will not eat food is already dead, and i was wondering when I get ready to start feeding it rats what should I do? i don't want the rats to bite him and hurt him but I also don't want him not to eat because it's already dead.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

start by weaning him onto prekilled....downside is you have to kill the rat. Otherwise just persist with frozen thawed but reheat them to body temp using warm water.

But if you have to feed live stun the rat first.

I'm sure that your snake will come around eventually.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks my red tail is pretty good at eating he just won't eat the mices if there dead and i tryed warming the freezin one up and then giving it to him but he just looks at me as if to say" I'm not eating that now go get one I can kill". He's spoiled .
Old 03-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

shake it around
A little motion can be just what it takes to entice the snake.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 AM

With the scent of the rat in the air and a thrashing motion (made by yourself) tends to stir the senses in a snake, try it. :wink: Just don't get bitten.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Good tip Roy, :wink:
Use feeding tongs!