Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Go Back   Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board > Snakes > Boas

Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 AM

Default Why not feed thawed frozen fish fillets?

Why not feed thawed frozen fish fillets? Ok before you have a knee jerk reaction, think about it. I feed her fresh and frozen rats and baby rabbits, and she really has no preference. Now, I know that rabbits are a better food source than rats, but sometimes they carry mites (big problem). We all know fish are an excellent food source for humans - much better than rats. In addition, fish fillets don't care mites, don't have bones or scales, and since Boas swim I would imagine in the wild they would eat a fish once in awhile. For that matter, what about any of our ( people) meat, pork or poultry? Certainly it would be cheaper and no mites.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

You could ... People feed snakes chicken parts all the time. But I wouldn't know why you'd want to besides the mite reason. It certainly would not be cheaper ((have you SEEN the price of fish?!)). Fish is a pretty normal part of most snakes diets and snakes are opportunistic feeders. They will eat whatever they can fit in their mouths. But I would think a whole fish would be better. The bones provide calcium that the snake needs.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 AM

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the responce. To me it makes so much more sense to be able to just buy the snakes food when I'm at the grocery store rather than running all over trying to find decent food for her. the rats at the pet store are skinny, all bones and tail for $5 and then trying to find a decent farmer on Craig's list is a real challenge - like Deliverance, lol. I'm sure she got the mites from the baby rabbits and they were $5 as well so I'm certainly going to save money and be able to provide healthier food for her if I can give her chicken parts and fish. Besides the fact that I, being an animal lover, did not enjoy having to kill things myself. Moreover, I was not good at it. You gave me a great idea, I'm thinking half of a Cornish game hen would be perfect and cost about a dollar and a half. So no problems with any kind of bones, etc?
Thanks so much, Steph
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM

So how would y ou feed a boa a fish? This topic piqued my mind so I'm very curios!

I'd assume you could feed a live one since they really can't bite back.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

People feed their snakes chickens all the time. For some snakes chicken is like crack lol. They LOVE it. It's a nice little treat for them, but it can make them picky and make them so that's ALL they want to eat. But no, there's no problems with bones or anything. Just make sure that when you cut the chicken, no bones are splintered.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM

I think that I would just thaw a frozen fish, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it, and then dangle it by the tail with tongs in her feeding box. She immediately hits the rats that way so I suspect the same result. She is an aggressive feeder. I will try it by the weekend and post the results.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Someone give it a try and report back.... As for me, I still have two chest freezers full of mice and rats of all sizes!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 AM

Snuffles...are you saying just thaw a chicken breat and fead that? No BBQ sauce and grilled?

I'm coming to Denny's for feedings!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Lmfao! Well mine like it with ketchup, but you know, that's not everyone's thing :P Jk, mine don't eat chicken. They eat mice with soy sauce!
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)

Tags
fish, food, meat, pork, poultry