Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Default Keeping Hunidity Up

What's the best way to do this if I live in a dry climate (Denver)?

I got my RTB looking super healthy again and now he has gone thru another bad shed and won't eat (been 5 weeks with 2 attempts).

I use Zilla's Tropical Mist spray when I notice him in blue but it doesn't seem to do much. I took him out the other day and he struck at me for the first time ever (almost got me square in the face) so I'm thinking he is under a lot of stress. I also have a light on his water dish and use a spray bottle with a few sprays when I wake up in the morning
Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 PM

Hi! What sort of bedding do you use? What is the wattage of the bulb you have? Was he in shed when picked him up?

Heat lamps decrease humidity much more than undertank heating pad, and it can become especially dry if you use bedding that doesn't retain moisture well. Also, you can try partially covering the top of his cage with some sort of plastic to help with humidity. Pertaining to the Zilla Tropical Mist, I just use water and that has always worked best for me--then again, I live in Alabama, so it's not that hard for me to keep up humidity.

If he was in shed when you picked him up you might've just startled him. I try to keep from handling my snakes when they're in shed.

If you let us know a little more about your setup, maybe we can help some more.

I hope some of this helps!

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)