Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 10-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Default Humidity control

I am experiencing difficulties maintaing a constant humidity in my tanks. I have ample water bowls and heating but the humidity seems to fluctuate heavily. All my tanks have heat bulbs but they not always on as the tanks get too hot. All the tanks have bottom heaters as well that stay on. Can someone suggest a solution for me?
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 10-26-2011, 04:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

What I do to improve the humidity is to put a large water bowl over one of the heat pads ( or partially over ). should point out that the water bowls are very large ceramic dog bowls, the heat is enough to help the water evaporate faster without getting hot. hope that helps
Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Ok thats the answer then. I have plastic bowls and have not put them directly on the heater pads. I will invest in ceramic bowls. Lets give that a try. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

If your heat is staying in range with the heat mats you might try just regular lighting for your enclosure. Im assuming that your drying out too much. For some reason im only getting half the posts and not just this one but all of them.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:47 PM

This was a question I had in my mind a not too long ago. I currently have a large bowl on the "hot side" under the heat pad with a lamp up on top as well that evaporates, however the cool end is where the hygrometer is and it's stays at 50% most of the time. I live in a dry climate (both winter and summer). When I move Storm to her new enclosure I'm considering figuring out optimal humidity mechanisms as well as heating and lighting since she'll be in a much larger enclosure (48x24x18(24) minimum) so would like to learn how you all set up soaking bawls and such.

Darran
Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM

I am at my wits end with humidity control. I have heating pads below, lights above the water bowl and the humidity still fluctuates dramaticaly. My hydrometer is also in the "cool" area and stays around 50%. The strip in the warm area fluctutes between 55 and 80%. Its higher when the lights off!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:40 PM

What type of tank do you use? What I mean by that is..... Does the tank have a solid lid or a screen lid. I found out a long long time ago that when I used screen lids I couldnt keep the humidity right either. Now all of the vivs I do are totally sealed. Well not air tight mind you but I use Lexon glass instead of screen or mesh and mine dont have lids at all. the tops are all permanently solid. I am working on a thread to post how I built the viv hawn uses now and if you check that out in a day or two you will see what I mean. Im posting a pic of it so you can see If you do use a screen lid or you have mesh or screen on the sides try covering all of those with just some plexi-glass. Now you dont want it so you cant remover the plexi-glass. You might have to move it around and leave some of the openings exposed to the humidity doesnt get too high.
Let me know if this helps
Oh and by the way....
BOATIPS.COM ROCKS!

1 Albino Burmese Python ( Hawn )
1 Bull Terrier Boxer Mix ( Diego )
1 Columbian Redtail Boa
Old 11-21-2011, 05:14 PM

Thom, if you post how you built that viv then you'd be my hero!

Currently, I have a screen top and I know that is not best. But what I am trying to figure out how to get adaquate heat if I had a closed top? Just using under tank head pads? Then just use a standard lighting for the top if it's a glas for the top? With ventilation on the sides?

Of course, I may not need one as big as Hawn's due to the smaller species but still, anything would be helpful!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thats what drills were invented for....drilling holes to poke wires through and putting up light fixtures, sounds more complex than it is. But with a vented lid all you can do is partially block the lid to increase humidity, that or just regular spraying of the viv.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM

raptor I jus thave a hard time visualizing this, Call me dumb but...LOL I can't see this. Unless the holes are just drilled in and the lamp is held externally over the holes not touching the wood at all?