Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 03-17-2011, 07:43 PM

Exclamation EW

brief overview of the recent months as most of you already know but this leads up to last night:
brought my snake (kali, the large red-tail) to my friends' in december to snake-sit while i went on vaca for 2 weeks. got back and they had gotten me a baby coral albino RT (abigail). now the snakes have been there since then as i've been doing a lot of work in my room. i haven't been able to give them a ton of attention only being able to visit once every or every other week to feed them so it hasn't been easy monitering them and my friends have a lot of pets so i don't know how well they kept up with water/cleaning and all that. seeing i didn't have any previous experience with abigail and couldn't regularly keep an eye on her to get used to her schedule (eating and pooping).
so last night i finally brought them home. abigail was shedding for the first time since i've had her and the shed was just a few inches back from her head so i decided to run her under warm water and remove the shed because she hasn't eaten in 2 weeks and i wanted to feed her tonight. i had her in my well-lit bathroom and held her up to the light (she's so pale you can see though her in bright light) because she looked a little bloated towards the end of her tail and i could clearly see it was really dark back there and looked backed up so i kept running warm water over her because her slit-thingy looked swollen then BOOM! all this dookie starts shooting out of her so i just kept the water going and oh my. there was so much and she's such a small snake. she had probably 3 feedings worth of backup. i kept removing shed and even more came out.
i got all the shed off and it looked like she's pretty cleared out so it ended fine. now i feel closer to my snake haha as weird as that sounds. something hasn't seemed right with her for a while and now it makes sense, like when you can just tell there's something wrong. there's my really long gross story.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

so glad that had a happy ending, wasn't looking too good for the snake for a while. but I'm glad you finally got her sorted, and hope that the road of recovery is not pitted or pot holed, and you just have many happy years with your snakes.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:35 AM

Well, good thing you caught it! That could have ended quite badly if you didn't. I'm glad she's okay though
Old 03-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Nothing like a human and his snake sharing that first insanely large poop together <3 Heartwarming story o.O *sarcasm* Lol

But I'm glad you caught it when you did!
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM

yeah really! i fed her last night and all is well. i also discovered she will not eat if it's brightly lit in the room. i think her eyes are so sensitive to light (being albino and all) that she literally couldn't see the food in front of her. as soon as i dimmed the light to where her pupils were more than tiny lines she went right for it.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 PM

LOL Algar! That gave me a laugh....I don't blame you for being worried, though. But it all turned out good in the end...lol.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 AM

"Eww" is definitely an appropriate title for this post!

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)
Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 PM

i've got a real high tolerance for nasty stuff yet i was pretty grossed out. i've never watched a snake poop haha although i've heard it.