Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 AM

Default Rescued Red Tail

Got a call on the way home from the expo today and picked up a Red Tail (it). I wasn’t sure if I was going to take him until I got there. The person owed someone money for it and that’s what they wanted for it (way more than I would have normally paid). I get there uncover it from the hide and could not leave without it!

When I got home and before even bringing him in, I ran in, cleaned and setup up a 6qt sterilite tub that I didnt use today with some heat. I have since picked up a bigger tub. AND I threw out its old cage!!!!

As you can see in the pics below he was in very bad shape, cold and the owner wasnt even sure how long he was sheding. He also said that it was eating multiple mice at a time, but Im not sure what size and didnt even ask.
He also said that it is over a year old. I weighed it and he weighed in at a whopping 103 grams and is approximatly 24-30".

It already seems very happy now, when I first saw it he was very scared and weak looking. I hope he eats soon, I placed a very small asf in front of it and didnt even know that food was there. Give him a few days and hopefully he finishes shedding and eats!

Still in my truck

Checking out its new digs

Taking a swim to help out with his shed and get a drink

1.1 Ball Python
0.0.1 Red Tail

Last edited by hp0544; 05-05-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Good for you, i'm so happy for the little guy that you found out about him, it's so sad the way some people care for there reptiles, i wish they would research first before buying, good luck, can't wait to hear updates
spotted python[Lew]
woma[Toby]
male normal ball python[Jiggs]
female pastel ball python[chloe]
Diamondback water snake[Jayda]
sand boa[spooky]
western hognose[Java]
bearded dragon[Be Be]
super tiger dwarf retic[Zander]
albino Ball Python [Jasmine] AKA, Jazzy
western hognose[Josie]
Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks, in his defense he said he has no experience and that the previous owner was going to put it down or take it to a shelter (the shelter probably would have been better) good intentions but probably should have done a little research.

Well after placing 2 rat fuzzies in the tub 1 is gone and the other is in Its grasp. Less than 24hrs here and eating already, I think that is a very good sign and hopefully he gets on a good feeding schedule and starts to gain some weight.

I still can't believe that my Hog Island is about the same age and weighs 4x more than It!

Oh and as a referenece of how small he is, the hide in the pic is the smallest on that they make; I bought it for the sand boa yesterday.
1.1 Ball Python
0.0.1 Red Tail
Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Ron I want you to aware that he has only shed one layer and there may be more. I got a rescue once and it shed 3 layers of skin and was ravenous! When he will let you check carefully around the throat area! Look for wrinkled skin there. Please post a pic of him next to a one dollar bill!

Almost forgot.... Good job!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 PM

hey Ron,
he's a cutie pie!!! how old is he!!!
Nikki
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Thanks

Denny I will check and take pics tomorrow; Ill give him some time to start digesting his food.

Nikki the person who had him said that they had him for a year so Im guess 14-16mths.
1.1 Ball Python
0.0.1 Red Tail
Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Try to get a picture of its spurs. Maybe we can sex it! It just feels wrong to call it "it" all the time :P

But he doesn't look TOO bad. Not as bad as I was expecting reading the paragraph above the picture. A couple more "baths" and a shed or two later and he'll be good as new!! But at least you finally got your redtail
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM

LS, I wish I got "it" :-p under better circumstances! I could have bought a healthy one for what i paid but i could just leave it there like that heck, i could have bought dennys super sweet redtails for what i paid!! I'm using my hog island as a comparison in size and it's more than quarter of it's size and just as long.
1.1 Ball Python
0.0.1 Red Tail
Old 05-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Hey HP, he is a cutie! I have a red-tail and she is beautiful! He does look better and it's a good sign that he's comfortable enough to eat already. He was probably starving and getting tired being covered by dead skin. Good luck and post more pics when he gets better!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:34 AM

Thanks; "It" is a cutie : D and very sweet.....and a healthy appetite!!!

Went to the store tonight for some food, 1 pink (first live one) for the Sand Boa and hit it right away and 2 pinks maybe even a little fuzz for "It" but I also picked up some shed ease and soaked her for 20 min like the directions stated. Prior to that she felt very dry and brittle and when she came out felt a lot better and the shed was starting to come off. Place her back in her tub with the pinks and immediately hit on one and is probably eating the other as I type.

Denny could not get any good pics of her skin but tried to get a pic of the tail. Could not see spurs like I can with the Hog Island.

1.1 Ball Python
0.0.1 Red Tail