Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Go Back   Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board > Snakes > General

Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 AM

Default Mites on a spotted python

Hoping for some advice on my spotted python. Hector is 2-3 years old 3 ft long'. We discovered mites today, have washed him several times cleaned his enclosure and will continue to do so. When should i expect him to eat, he hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks now so i'm guessing thats how long the mites have been about. He seems very happy now since his washes and has been handled alot today so even though i triend to feed him he wasn't interested so this may be why he wasn't interested. Some advice and tips would be great. I'm glad we realised or i think he was getting sick and such a worry when your pet is ill. We just thought he was off his food because the weather has chilled quite a bit the past few weeks.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:14 AM

We had a few people on this site who had mite problems, so you should get some good advice soon. Good thing you noticed them, they can really affect the health of a snake. I have a Blond Spotted Python myself.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Thanx heaps, this is the first time have used a forum and found this one. We just thought he was slowing down for the cooler season. He looked sick this morning and when i got him out i saw the mites straight away. We bathed him 4 times and wow he looks and feels (as far as his skin goes) so much better. I'll just be happy when he eats then i know he'll be on the road to recovery.Not sure how he got them, he had a play outside a few weeks ago on the grass and by the pool so maybe thats when. It's the first time with mites and was so scary as i know what could happen.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Anytime you bring your snake outside, you put him at risk for mites. Wild snakes in the yard will spread them everywhere and your snake can catch them so easily!

I'm battling mites myself. It's a lot harder for me because I'm pregnant and can't pick up on the cages and so I can't really treat them ... Try treating him with a Permethrin spray. You can find it at any farm store in the fly spray section. Get the 10% concentrated one and mix 1/4 oz. with 16 oz. of water. Works like a charm. As for him not eating ... All my snakes eat while they have mites ... If anything, it makes their appetite even bigger because all the blood is being drained from them and the food helps replenish some of those lost blood cells. So it might just be the cool down that made him not eat.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 05-28-2011, 05:35 PM

I have used the Nix Lice technique (a bottle of Nix and about 16oz. of water). You can spray this right on the snake itself, and in the bedding. When I change her bedding, I will spray it down with the Nix just to make sure it's extra protected. You just don't want to get it in the water, so I will remove the dish while I clean it and then wait a bit before putting it back in.
I had the mite issue back in Feb and it's been good since then, knock on wood!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:24 PM

i also had mites on a snake i purchesed, thankfully he was in quarantien so none of my othert snakes had gotten them, the method i used was ivermectin used topical, you can buy ivermectin at fleetfarm use the ivermectin for cattle, i really had great results with ivermectin, the dose is 1ML ivermectin to 1 Liter of water this can be sprayed on snake and bedding every 4-5 days, also what ever method you use make sure you spray all nook and cranies mites will hide in the tiniest of openings. i continued to spray snake and cage for a full month even though i didn't see no signs of mites after the 1st 2 weeks of treatment. also spray out side area of cage, mites can crawl around outside of cage as well. i bought flea and tick spray and srayed the carpet with that one time a week. good luck with what ever treatment you use, just be persistant with the treatment and you should get rid of them in a hurry.
spotted python[Lew]
woma[Toby]
male normal ball python[Jiggs]
female pastel ball python[chloe]
Diamondback water snake[Jayda]
sand boa[spooky]
western hognose[Java]
bearded dragon[Be Be]
super tiger dwarf retic[Zander]
albino Ball Python [Jasmine] AKA, Jazzy
western hognose[Josie]
Old 05-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The Nix Lice Spray is the permethrin spray method, just less concentrated Permethrin is the main chemical in Nix, but if your stores are like mine, they don't sell Nix anywhere! D:
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 PM

I found the Nix at a Rite Aid! I was so excited!!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

fair bit of good advice...only thing to add would be to change his substrate over to pure white kitchen paper. It helps you se the mites a lot better and will give you a better idea of when your in the clear....about a month after you think your in the clear is a good time to stop treating and looking...lol

Mites are a real pain and a real danger to snakes.....hope to hear your ( and snuffles ) snakes are mite free soon.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Well, if you haven't read on Facebook, as for my snakes, Sangria couldn't take the mites and passed away Whiskey had to be rushed over to my house, even though there's absolutely NO room for her!! But she was so bad off that she needed emergency treatment right away. I have to clean her cage out today ((It stinks so bad)), let her soak and spray her down with treatment again. I'm also gonna give her a few mouse fuzzies because I don't wanna feed her a big meal and have her regurge it right now.

Lol Wiccan, I looked at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, none of them had it, so I just went to a farm store and bought the active ingredient and did the measurements to dilute it down. Thank God I have an engineer for a boyfriend to check my math, too, because I normally **** at that sort of thing, but I figured it out without thinking about it too much!
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)