Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 AM

Default Humidity Control

I use under tank heat pads for all of my critters; but in Gary's and Sabina's cage they don't increase the ambient temperature enough. So I like to use heat lamps on their cages as well. The problem with this is the lamps dry out their cages--even after a heavy misting it is only a few hours before the humidity is back to low levels. I'm not using high watt bulbs either. I keep some sphagnum moss in their cages and have the tops partially covered.

Any ideas?

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)
Old 06-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Maybe a ceramic heat emitter? Most of the light bulbs now have some kind of UVB rays with them that makes the water evaporate a lot quicker.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 06-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Hmm. I guess it's worth a shot.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:51 PM

Franky, I have noticed this same issue with mine. It's weird. But I guess, if Lucy wants more water, then she can crawl into her water dish. She hasn't done this in a while, so I guess she is okay.
It is frustrating though.
I changed a few things around in her cage since the last time she shed and I will ahve to wait and see if it makes a difference.
At this time, she was in blue for about a week, now she is clear for about two; she is due to shed any day now. I have to see if there are any issues with her shedding completely and then i will have an idea about her humidity.
This seems to be the pattern with her: she is really milky for about a week, then she looks pretty much like her normal self (a bit wrinkly, though) for about two or three days, then she sheds.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 PM

i only worry about humidity only when my snakes are in shed. then i spray there cage 2 times a day. i have never had a problem health wise the only snakes a have to be very carefull about humidity requirements are for the retics, those guys have to have higher humidity always so i do have to keep there cages at 60-80% 24 hours a day or in time those guys will get sick. but as far as the others i never worry about humidity. like i said you should only need to spray your cages when there in shed. also my snakes are in cages big enough to were there water dish is the small size cat litter pans. the ball pythons pretty much just go to the bathroom in them LOL.
spotted python[Lew]
woma[Toby]
male normal ball python[Jiggs]
female pastel ball python[chloe]
Diamondback water snake[Jayda]
sand boa[spooky]
western hognose[Java]
bearded dragon[Be Be]
super tiger dwarf retic[Zander]
albino Ball Python [Jasmine] AKA, Jazzy
western hognose[Josie]
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Franky-
Lucy shed for me on Sunday afternoon and it was beautiful! I didn't have to help her at all.
Now, I work from 3-11 at night and when I'd get up in the late morning, I would check in on her and spray down her tank. then, before I go to work, I will spray is down again. This will usually last her all the rest of the afternoon and into the next day for humidity. Her tank is between 70 (night) and 80-95 or so during day hours and she is fine. But, this has been what she is used to since I got her.
When I first was given her, the girl who gave her to me told me that she gets fed after she poops. Well, I had her there for a few months and still no poop! I was really worried and decided to hell with it, I will feed her. Well, she was hungry, and you can guess. LOL. I felt so bad!
But, she is on a 2 week feeding schedule since then and she is fine. This is the reason why I think she is a little smaller than what would be a usual size for a red-tailed at her age, but she is in perfect health and is not underweight/overweight, so I will keep with what I am doing.
But, as for worrying about the humidity, I would agree with lihed and say that during shed, it's the time to take the extra spraying step.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Sadie got a RI once, I don't know if it was caused by humidity though. I guess I just like to be careful, since reptiles have evolved to fill a very specific niche. But humidity usually isn't TERRIBLY hard to keep up because I live in Alabama.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Don't know if this helps but what i do is place over sized water bowls directly over the heat mat. Keeps the water warm for the snake and the humidity at a reasonable level. Also I have vents at the top and bottom of the viv's and can change the humidity by opening or closing the vent.