Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Hard Times :(

So as most of you know, I haven't been having good experiences with my snakes lately For those of you not on Facebook, here's the extent of it:

I've lost both of the Rosy boas and the Spider ball python. They've all died, one by one. The fire ball python and my anery boa got relocated to a friend in LaARK. My iguana is currently being baby sat by some more friends in LaARK. For now, they're all in good hands.

All I'm left with now is Brandy, Whiskey, Sangria, Jack and Arty, the pastel ball python I got who was supposed to be a girl but is in fact a very well endowed male. Each one of them seems to be doing better now that I've had some help in getting them treated and they each have a good meal in them. Sangria is looking a little bad, but she ate for me tonight and should be shedding in the next few days, so hopefully she'll bounce back. Especially now that most of those blood ****ing, life stealing nasty little bugs are dead. I'm hoping Kyle and my mom will continue to help me keep them treated. If they will, we can get them back in tip top shape.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM

i'm so sorry to hear of you loses, but i'm glad things are starting to look up. i don't know what you are using to treat the mites, but i had excellent results with the ivermectin put on topical, it's safe oviously used as directed, and can be used on snake and enclosure. for me the ivermectin was the most convienent treatment and fast. if you or anyone ever would like to try this method i will give you the directions for usage, also you can buy the product at fleetfarm, for like $25 and i hardly put a dent in it. it goes a long way. goodluck and i'm glad you have help with treating them.
spotted python[Lew]
woma[Toby]
male normal ball python[Jiggs]
female pastel ball python[chloe]
Diamondback water snake[Jayda]
sand boa[spooky]
western hognose[Java]
bearded dragon[Be Be]
super tiger dwarf retic[Zander]
albino Ball Python [Jasmine] AKA, Jazzy
western hognose[Josie]
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm sorry to hear that snuffles But I'm glad the others are doing good. Were the mites really that bad? Wow!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Sorry about your losses snuffles Good to hear the others are doing better now though. I hope Sangria improves more too. Good luck with the mites, kill em all!

Last edited by DodoBird27; 08-19-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks guys. Lihed, I'm using a permethrin mixture of my own making. It's basically the same as Nix lice spray, but it came from a farm store in a huge bottle and like you, I've barely put a dent in it. I'd be interested to know the Ivermectin treatment though. Just in case.

Dodo, you have absolutely no idea ..... you've seen pictures of Riesling right? How red he was and beautiful? I'm not exaggerating when I say he had so many mites on him that he looked like a Mexican Rosy boa instead of a Pioneer. I don't know how they would have killed him so fast though, even with so many. I think it was actually the maggots that killed him. I didn't get a chance to examine him. I have no idea how maggots got into his cage, but they completely decomposed Chianti. She was a horrible sight. I couldn't help but sit there and cry and cry, after first puking my guts up. I hope no one ever has to see anything that horrid and disgusting ever. I imagine the effect of seeing her in that state was about the same as finding a dead human body. Traumatizing ..... it really was bad.

Good thing Franky didn't send Sabina to me. I hadn't been out to the shed since the last time I fed the snakes, so I had no idea how bad things were, nor did I really want to know since at that point there was nothing I could do until someone came to help me. I preferred to be blissfully unaware rather than stress myself out over something I had no control over. Is that wrong of me?
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
Old 08-18-2011, 02:26 AM

Wow, I'm sorry Snuffles. I really hope things work out. How did they get mites so bad? Just bad luck?

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)
Old 08-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I suppose so. I hadn't noticed it before, but the guy who came and helped me clean the cages made a really good point. I'm not sure what my rack is made of, but be it wood or plastic, it's not sealed properly against mites and other small bugs. They're using it as a breeding ground and I didn't even know it or realize it!! So I've taken to spraying the whole thing down with lice spray instead of just cleaning the cages inside. Never again though. Now I'm on to their game!! I just can't believe I didn't realize it before hand. ((The maggots still stump me though, because a fly is still too big to get into it ...))
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 PM

Lovesnuffles, when i had mites i went to the vet, only because this was my 1st experience with mites and wanted to be sure what to do, as you know they told my to use the ivermectin, the vet told me to spray the snake, every inch of the enclosure inside and outside of the cage including the area all around the cage, then the vet told me to buy flea and tick spray and spray all carpet, curtains basically all areas that was away from the cage. i used the flea and tick spray every 2 weeks for about 1.5 months. then the ivermectin i used every 4-5 days, however i did every 4 days at the bigninng if you do try this you have to be sure it's ivermectin for cattle and you would mix 1ml to 1L of water, it's best to mix a new batch every time, i had the most excellent results with ivermectin. but as your friend pointed out, you CAN NOT miss any spot in an enclosure when your dealing with mites, i literally sprayed every knook and cranny there is including track for sliding glass doors i also heat using over head heating i would turn there heat off and wiped the ivermectin in and out of the heat dome i even sprayed the screen the the dome sits on, while i would be spraying the cages i would soak there hides in the bath tub with just hot water then before putting the hides back in the cage i still sprayed the heck out of them with the ivermctin, don't for get water dishes too, i soaked there water dishes in hot water also, of course i did not spray them. good luck i hope you get it under control asap
spotted python[Lew]
woma[Toby]
male normal ball python[Jiggs]
female pastel ball python[chloe]
Diamondback water snake[Jayda]
sand boa[spooky]
western hognose[Java]
bearded dragon[Be Be]
super tiger dwarf retic[Zander]
albino Ball Python [Jasmine] AKA, Jazzy
western hognose[Josie]
Old 08-19-2011, 03:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yeah, we've been cleaning everything in the cages, including the water bowls. I let the water bowls soak in water with dawn dish detergent. That stuff really suffocates bugs fast. All my reptiles are in the shed out back though, so there's no worry of carpet and curtains to spray. ((The shed is insulated and air conditioned. We were considering turning it into an apartment.))
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Hope all will be ok and tomorrow will bring sunshine and good health to your babies. Be positive.
Kind regards.
Greg
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)