Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Breeding season

We are now starting to come out of the breeding season so the males should start eating again!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Denny,
How long do males and females going off feeding???
Nikki
Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Males stop eating as breeding season begins around March-May in most species, some boas will breed in the fall, females will stop eating right after breeding if they are gravid and some don't eat until the babies come (boas) up to 10 months later depending on species. Pythons and colubrids will eat after laying eggs.
Some females never stop eating and fool you by having a clutch you did not know was coming. My redtail did that twice to me. I walked in to find 24 sets of eyes checking ME out! Good thing I had the hatchling rack with 40 tubs available! lol
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Snake not eating

Thanks for the tip, Denny!! I wrote in aout a month ago about my male corn snake not eating. He only ate two pinkies (usually eats regular mice) in almost 3 1/2 months. It was pretty nerve racking!!! He finally started eating and let me tell you he was ravenous You guys did suggest that this could be the issue and I'm happy that it was. I'll know for next year.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Buy him a girl friend! Then of course a hovabator...lol
Old 08-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Default Snakes not eating

The corn snake is a strange beast. Mine previously did a similar thing and ate normal mice and then suddenly went off them for awhile and would only take the occasional pinkie. Shortly thereafter i was feeding his cage mate and he suddenly showed interest in mice again and things went back to normal. He still has the odd phase every now and then. Dont let it stress you.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Smile

Yep...the breeding season even gets's immature snakes to stop eating. A healthy snake can stop eating for up to 4 months...heavy snakes; large Pythons, Boas and Retics even longer!