Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Go Back   Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board > Snakes > General

Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Default Membership and rankings of members

I have noticed that it appears that after you are moderated you are listed as a junior member and after a period are listed as a member.
Could it be explained how these rankings work as I see there are also senior members, moderators and site administrators.
I am sure it would assist those of us that have no idea what this actually means.
Thanks.
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The members are ranked by the number of posts they have. Once you reach a certain number of posts, you get to be a Member or Senior Member.

Moderators and Admins got their rankings because we happened to be here at the right time and volunteered for the job of keeping the site clean since the site creators don't visit us often.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 AM

That helps thanks now i understand. I feel for you moderators etc. as you must surely deal with a lot of nuts and guys just taking a chance.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Not really. The people don't get out of hand, it's the bots that are aggravating!
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 AM

I saw while reading the foot of the forum page that there are around 19 000 "members" while only some 200 are active. Do most of these people subscribe to see if they win a free toaster or what. Surely there must be some cut off period where you guys delete inactive members (say 18 months) and those that join and never utilise the service. The reason i mention this is that i heard there are a few SA members and scrolled through the members list using the narrow the search method but gave up as its just page after page of similar names. By deleting these inactive members you would not rob them of the advice columns or general information or of being able to read the forums.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Those waiting moderation are looked at by site administrators (myself and others) to verify they are a real person and not a get rich quick sceme or a sex Biz. Members are placed as junior members and gradually rise up the ranks to senior members by how many "posts" they make. Moderators watch over the heard as it were for language, content, etc . I understand that we do in fact have some "members" that have never posted or contributed to the forum, but we have so many that just read and learn..... they are as important as any of us!

Last edited by DennyS; 09-13-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Denny i dont think you read my last post in the correct context. I am not in any fashion suggesting anybody is more or less important. Narrowing down the members list would not restrict anyone of reading and learning. You do not have to even register to access all info. The only restriction is you can not post or start threads. It appears 18 802 have no intention of doing so anyway.
If you were looking for an active member in your area to communicate with you would not have a hope in hell of tracing them on the current membership list.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Remember too that a lot of people might join out of curiosity or wish to learn from reading our notes. I am always amazed over how many people are reading as guests at almost anytime of the day.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Denny, you are absolutely correct. I have been personaly astounded by the shear volume of people viewing the various forums whever I come on. Perhaps all most viewers need is good advice or a nudge in the right direction.

I took an objective look at the entry page once you log onto the site and notice an invitation to subscribe to the newsletter. It seems a vast number of people seem to think this is compulsory which if read properly it clearly is not. On my first visit I subscribed and enjoy the updates and tips.

In so far as the forums page is concerned there is a perception that there is significant restriction on access if you do not register as a member. Most first time visitors would perceive this as making the detailed forums accesibile on condition you have registered. This is not the true position.

Perhaps an ammendment of the welcome to the forums page could be considered?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I will look into that and let the site owner aware of it...thanks!