Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Go Back   Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board > Snakes > Boas

Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Default Anticipating Boa behaviour

I recently took an adult female red-tail boa (2+ years old) off a guys hands. When i took delivery of her he handled her by grabbing her behind the neck and putting her into a pillow case. I have never handled my snakes this way and was a bit irritated. When she got home i gently took her out and put her in her new tank. She never showed any aggression but appeared quite highly strung. Now whenever i go to change her water etc or pick up her temperature guage which she knocks off nightly she gets very interested and immediately comes to my hand and follows my every movement by rapidly moving her head. I have tested her a few times by not moving my arm and "offering" it to her seeing what she does. She comes up to it and appears to taste my skin with her tongue. No attempts to bite or hissing YET. I have let her settle and now want to take her out for further handling and wonder what to make of her great interest in my movements and arm. Neither of my other boas do this and normally do not budge until i physically lift them. I know no-one has a crystal ball but should i anticipate aggression?
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Greg-
I have NEVER grabbed Lucy like this, either. When I reach into her cage, I always try to get her towards the middle of her body and lift her with two hands. I am by no means an expert (Lucy is my first snake) but to me it sounds like she is just curious with her new home/master. She is getting used to your gentle behavior; remember, if he grabbed her in this manner, then she is probably expecting the same from you. You should post pics when you get a chance.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Me to!! i let my boa get up on me if he wents to!!
Nikki
Old 09-08-2011, 03:07 AM

Sabina would always follow me around. ALWAYS. Whenever I was in the room, she expected to come out of her cage. She never bit me, but all snakes are different. A common dictum of the reptile world is, it is not a matter of IF you will get bitten; it is WHEN.

A fat-tailed gecko (Gary)

Two trans-pecos rat snakes (Wilfrid and Elizabeth)
Old 09-08-2011, 12:44 PM

I must admit that the behaviour of this guy really shocked me and led me to believe he really was not a snake lover but a snake keeper for financial gain. This is the same character driving around with a load of indigenous venomous snakes boasting how good the market was.

Back to the boa concerned. Yesterday i had to change the light fitting in her tank and in my stupity had originally fitted it where i almost have to be head and shoulders in the tank to get to it. She was very interested while i got ready and followed my movements until i took the plunge and ignored a possible bite and changed the entire light which took around 25 minutes of in and out her tank. She just kept touching my hands and arms as if craving the contact. No bites or aggression at all.

I know a bite will come some time but believe it will not be out of pure aggression.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 PM

She sounds like she is enjoying her new home And it sounds like she is ready to be held for a bit longer.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:08 AM

I did a bit of investigation on this person and found out he keeps his snakes in those plastic draws we see at the venom "farms". I can only imagine that she is amped about space and freedom to climb and explore. Will take the handling slowly in short periods each day until i am sure of her personality.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:59 AM

Christ, tonight I was just beat and pulled Lucy out earlier. Well, I was sitting with her under my shirt on my shoulder with just her head sticking out for about an hour and a half and I drifted off a few times. Every time I woke up, she was still in the same spot all cuddled up. Then I moved to a more comfy spot on the couch and that was all she wrote! Then she wanted to do nothing more that explore and get excited. No more napping. Some personalities they have!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:56 AM

I tried that with Castro ONCE! He loved it and kept perfectly still and content or so i thought. I dozed off and woke in a state of shock as he was gone. I found him curled up in the washing basket in the bathroom. It was like my child had been snatched from the mall.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:27 PM

LOL, I know! I kept nodding off then waking up and the first thing I did was look over to my shoulder to make sure she was still there. She was napping, too.