Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes. They get tamer as they grow older. Babies tend to be more aggressive because they think everything wants to eat them.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 09-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Thats great news because neither of mine have shown any aggression at all. They dont mind being handled and currling up under my shirt. They are my favourites for a little cuddle. I just hope they just get even more tame as they grow.
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:33 AM

Just out of curiousity, why do you hear stories of boas attacking and even killing humans? Those are the ones who are in the home.

I hav enoticed that as I hold mine, he/she gets more and more comfortable with me and is'nt really likely to do much nor do I see him/her flicker her tongue much either. I know when I first got her she would try to get away bu after awhile, she/he started to settle down.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 AM

What you hear is sensasionalised isolated incidents caused by absolute stupity by the human concerned. It is not within a boas nature to consider humans as prey. Every reputable site on boas emphasise that a full grown/large boa or python should be handled with a second capable person immediately available to assist. Letting a full grown/large constrictor wrap around your neck during handling time is also not to be encouraged. They are creatures driven by instinct and may squeeze with no direct intention of harming you.
Leaving a large boa with an infant or toddler is another story as they could be at risk. Not because they human but because they resemble natural prey size. Again common sense should prevail.
As fun as it may seem and as harmless as it may be, discourage your young boa now already from wrapping around your neck area. They quickly learn whats acceptable and what is not.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Greg hit the nail on the head.

Most snake attacks are the result of stupidity on the owners. As long as proper husbandry is practiced, there SHOULD be no accidents. Just remember, whether it's a dog, horse, snake, any animal can kill you.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 PM

This one I have not yet gotten near my neck though. But I have had him or her wrap around my wrist since she's small enough and just pokes the head out glazing at the sights.

When I want to move, he/she easliy lets up grip and I can freely move him/her as long as I am supporting the body.

I've read where people wear them as "ties" but then that would go against common sense and give them a means to squeeze unintentionally. So it would be a safe rule of thum to keep away from the neck but up over shoulders would be okay?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I put mine on my shoulders. I see no harm in it. As long as they aren't big enough to over power you. When they get big enough, sometimes it's hard to support them correctly without putting them on your shoulders. But just make sure that once they get strong enough, you have someone else in the room with you who is able to intervene just in case something goes wrong.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 AM

I carry Castro around my shoulders whenever he is out. I just discourage him getting his strongest middle muscles wrapped around my neck. He has given me a little warning of what he could accidently do when after a play session i tried to put him back. He wanted none of it and used the only secure point he could grip around which was my neck. I relaxed sat on the couch giving him somewhere else to go and he let go immediately. The trick is if accidents happen try relax and think rationally. Your boa is not trying to hurt you, giving it somewhere else to move off too will let it know it can let go. Your arm or neck is nothing more than a tree limb they would use for support in the wild.
Snuffles is 100% correct though on the assistance being available as they get bigger. Dont be a hero! Your boa remains an animal driven by a survival instinct.