Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Go Back   Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board > Snakes > Boas

Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Post Outdoor/Traveling exposure

Do any of you take your snakes outdoors? Are there specific rules or laws? I can't seem to find anything here in my area. Just thought I'd ask for some common courtisy type of things.

While we were driving home from the Vet, I had Storm in my hand and the drive thru cashier got freaked out.

There are lots of kids around here. I try to educate them about Storm and snakes in particular. I'll let them pet her but not handle her. Next summer she will be around 4-5 feet I'm guessing.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM

Well, when it was hot enough here in NY over the summer (over 80 degrees), I would let Lucy out with me on the front porch. I kept an eye on her while I was reading and she was either wrapped around the porch railing by me or my chair. She seemed fine and liked it.
When I took her to the vet, I made sure she was comfortable in a little plastic tub with a top for the short ride. It was fine.
If people are curious I would let them look, but I would never take her out in "public" where there was a possibility of getting hurt.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Default traveling with your snake(s)

I took my male corn snake, Pumpkin to my daughter's school. He is very gentle and likes to be pet, however, I held him and let the kids touch him. They were great with him and they really enjoyed learning about him. And it was rewarding to have the kids who were a little leary to get over their fear and touch him (if they wanted to).

As for my new red-tailed, Sadie, my daughter and I take her everywhere, she rode all the way back from NY to our house (central MA) curled up on my daughter's lap!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Awww! I think it is good that people learn that this fear is sometimes cultural and parents put their fears on their children.
I told a good friend of mine at the hospital that her daughter can come see Lucy anytime she wants to. Now, she hates snakes. But, I told her that her fear is unfounded because she has NEVER handled one or even seen one in the wild, so how can she be afraid of something she has never come into contact with? It's fear of the unknown. I told her that she should not project her fear onto her daughter.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 PM

I think what you doing is great but be very aware of some peoples irrational fear. Not only your snake but you could get hurt if something goes wrong. Perhaps read what i posted about an experience i had under "irresponsible snake owners". if its still there.
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)

Last edited by Greg Nel; 11-16-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Pity i see its been removed. Was very real and should be a wake up call to us who have snakes and treat them like some people do their puppy. For a moment imagine turning around in a supermarket and seeing a stranger with a tarantula the size of a dinner plate on his shoulder!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Sorry but was little ignorant of the way forums work. If you interested go to foot of list and under forum display click show forums up to 2 months ago. Its there.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks Greg! I found it and was just, let's say I would beat the crap out of a guy who walked into the mall like that.

I guess I should be a bit more clear though. I don't intend to just go anyplace. I reside in a private townhouse community so stepping outside will have alot of neighbors around. Most of them, if not all, know I have Storm. Their kids are curious but I don't do much but cross the streat going over to the sidewlak by the park where she can easily soak in the sun. We do the same thing with our Beardie too.

I don't think I would ever go to a crowded place like a mall or store with her. I realize that can be a bit of a...problem.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 AM

I try give my snakes time in a more natural enviroment whenever possible. Castro loves his time on the lawn or being hosed down. It can only be good for them. I would suggest you don't over estimate your boa's love for you though and give her too much freedom as getting her out a tree can be tricky. You may find buddies to hold the ladder a little scarce.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM

I have had Hawn for quite a few years now. In the summer time as long as its above 80 I try to take her out in the yard at least twice if not 3 times a week. When she is out I have to put Diego in his room but other then that I have never had any problems at all with Hawn being out. In fact when we lived about 2 blocks from Findlay University everytime I took her outside within literally minutes there would be a cpl people gather around and want to hold her and touch her and take pics of her. After all she was a 10 foot snake back then and it is pretty impressive when you are walking down the street and you see some guy standing there with a 10 foot snake on the ground next to him.lol
as for snakes and travelling. since we have had hawn we have had to move 4 times from one state to another.... no Im not a fugitive. I just had a job that made me relocate often. lol. Anyway whenever she has to be transported I use a cooler with a heating pad in it if the trip is going to be anthing over an hour
If its just a quick trip to the vet or a show then I just put her in a rubbermade tub I have pimped out for her comfort.
As for taking a snake to a public place just to take it there is just wrong on so many levels. There are just way too many people out there that dont understand about snakes Especially big ones, and thats a chance I will never take wth any of my pets.
I have had lots of experience transporting hawn now and through my experiences I can tell you that in my opinion ( and yes opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one lol ) if you want to give your snake some "yard" time go ahead. Just make real sure you stay right with the snake the whole time you have it out and see how it reacts to being outside. You really need to make sure that it is at least in the 80's though or you might have some issues. Let me know if you have anymore concerns on travel with your snake. I will be glad to help if I can.
BOATIPS.COM ROCKS!!!!!!!

1 Albino Burmese Python ( Hawn )
1 Bull Terrier Boxer Mix ( Diego )
1 Columbian Redtail Boa