Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 10-15-2011, 05:07 AM

Default Feeding behavior

Okay Storm is being fed tonight. But she is being a bit stubborn.

She's curled around he rprey sitting insdie her petrie dish (in a separate feeding enclosure, not her home). But she's been that way for an hour. Everytime I check on her she looks up and appears protective of her prey.

I'm not gonna stick my hands in there just yet.

It was last Saturday when she last ate. I will be gone tomorrow wevening so I decided to feed her tonight instead.

Might have to elave her overnight.

But has anyone seen this type of behaivor? This is the first I've encountered this and just am not sure what to do or think.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, my boas do it all the time. I've come to accept it as they're weirdos.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 10-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Angelle,
That's mean and funny
Nikki
Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 AM

Weirdo fits well...I was able to pull the mouse out without a fight and put her back into her enclosure. Nothing happened. She did eat up though after I put her in the enclosure. I was afraid to leave her in her feeding enclosure without any heat source. That would have been a better option...

So for those who feed outside the "home" do you have some sort of heat soruce to leave for overnight if nothing is eated right away? Usually she does eat without issues but sometimes we deal with this and as soon as I put her in her home she will eat the hooper.

So yeah, weirdos is quite fitting!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I feed my boas in their enclosure. Everything else gets fed in a separate bin. ((The baby boas get fed in separate bins too)). But no, I don't have any heat source because I feed them all outside and it's usually already warm o.o
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 AM

DBG-
Lucy can be sometimes stubborn if she is distracted; then it takes her a bit longer to eat. But I have never had the issue you were discussing. I feed her in her old tank and she knows the difference between her old and new. Sorry I couldn't be of much more help.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM

When i originally got my ball pythons i was fascinated to see they did exactly the same thing. They would lie next to their pinkie and sometimes encircle it as if protecting it for ages before deciding the snack was ready. Then out of the blue would grab and it eat. My male has now after 6 or so feeds got over this and grabs his food immediately. My female is a slow and fussy eater often just cuddling her food for ages.
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 AM

I have a bin that I pull Storm out and feed her in but there is no heat source. So I'm concerned about leaving her overnight so she doesn't have to eat in her enclosure.

This is the second maybe third time it's taken this long to eat. Normally, she takes it up.

When I place her in the bin I usually have her head directed to the prey and she will attack it but then immediately let go and when I put her completely in then she seems uninterested but if I close the bin and leave she usually eats up within 10 or 15 minutes. This is just the first time I've seen her circled around it and just sitting there.

if I do end up feeding inside her enclosure due to her stubborness, thens he's got large dish that she has nice table manners and eats right there. And I make sure the dish is at the same location each time.

Ah, such are weirdos!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 AM

If it works for you and your snake to feed in its normal enclosure then do so. There is no definitive reason to feed away from "home" except that you to a small extent reduce the association between the opening of the enclosure for maintenance and handling with feeding time. Of my snakes almost all prefer to eat in their "homes" as its where they are in charge and most comfortable. Temps are consistent etc. Imagine being picked up suddenly put in a dark container and given a burger. I trust you also wont grab the burger too quickly.
1.0 African Grey Parrot (Waxy)
1.3 Dogs (Marley, Jemma, Chelsea and Sasha)
Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 PM

I kept Lucy's old tank to feed her in. I will put it in the same place in the hallway, put the top on, then open it to feed her with tongs. She knows the difference when she is in this area.