Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 08-14-2011, 02:15 AM

Question Shedding Boa??

I have a very young red tail boa and she started to shed a couple days ago, and the skin on her head peeled right off. But the skin on the rest of her body just hasnt come off yet, and its been a few days now. Its all dry and stuff but not coming off. My corn snake sheds in a matter of minutes and i am slightly worried. what do i do? is there something wrong with her?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 PM

When this happens to Lucy, I will put her under some lukewarm water in the sink and gently pull the skin off of her...if it doesn't come off, it can cause an infection. This is probably because the humidity is not high enough in the cage. When Lucy is getting ready to shed (she will go into blue; you will notice the difference) I will take extra care to spray her cage down a few times a day. This has solved the problem, pretty much.
You just want to run the water over her to get her moist and as you gently work at the loose skin, it should come right off.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

You just need to up the humidity in her cage a bit. Do as Wiccan says. Put her in some lukewarm water, but I wouldn't pull the skin off her. Just gently rub it down her body. Pulling can cause pain for the snake if done even a little too hard.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

But please remember that warm water (to YOUR touch) is very hot to a cold blooded snake. If the snake goes bizzerk the water is most likely too warm!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 PM

next time you can tell she'll be shedding even misting her once a day will make a big difference in the days leading to the shed. my 6+ foot boa used to shed in pieces and make a huge mess and lots of noise over the span of a week. now when her eyes blue i mist her every day then boom! i'll come in my room and she'll have shed no problem.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:30 AM

Alrighty folks! I'm back! (don't keep chaging forums on me LOL)

I recently had a problem similar to this with m new baby. She did not have a clean shed. It felt all dry and such. It's areally gross feeling and makes you wonder if you have a "mean" snake...

What I did was similar to what WicanMan said. But I put her in a tub of her own, lukewarm water and let her (or him) swim for a while. Then my son and I were abl eto gently bring the rest of the shed off. Ther eis only one part of the neck, about 2-3 inches below the head that is not doing so well but I'm nto sure if she (or he) is just thin or just dry.

One th ing is that I was using Cypress Mulch and the snake was burrowing and was somewhat confused. So I wonder if that was part of the problem? But so far, things are good I think. I'm keeping an eye out on for the next shed.Hopefully I won't have too many issues.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:13 AM

I mean WiccanWolf...not WiccanMan.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Lol, that is okay DBG. Lucy has had her issues with the shedding, too, but then I started to mist her cage twice a day when she is in blue and all good so far. I'll let you know...she's getting ready again soon.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Smile Spray-N-Wipe

As an after thought, I will take a spray bottle of water and spray my snake down real well the use a wet hand towel to gently wips and spray the shed down. On my big 30 Boa I juse my hands and sprayer. BUT... she is a sweet heart! Stop laughing Snuffles... I frequently get after thoughts 10 months later. lol
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 AM

She is ready to shed again, but this week she has been so weird acting. I don't know if it's because she is tender and doesn't want to be touched, but every night when I go to get her out to see how she's doing this week, she wants none of it! She moves her body away from me and acts very agitated; and she is not quite hissing, but making noises out her nose in almost frustration. Kinda PMS'y. I don't know if I should be worried or not, if she might be sick or something.
She has never acted this way before; the other times when she was ready to shed, she let me pick her up. And she seems to be laying in the same spot in her cage (in her house) every day...not looking like she moved.

Tags
boa, shedding