Pet Snake Forum And Discussion Board

Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Feeding and handling

HI

I am the proud new owner of a beautiful baby brazillian rainbow boa. She is my first snake and so I am still learning about the best ways to care for these wonderful creatures.

How soon after I feed her should I handle her again? Ideally I would like to handle her as often as possible. I have been advised not to handle her for 3 days after feeding. Is this correct or can I handle her sooner?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

You can handle her sooner, just don't do it too much too soon. Wait at least 24 hours and limit your time handling her a little bit for the first few days. If you stress her out too much, it'll cause regurgitation and that's never fun.

And on the subject of regurgitation, if she does happen to ever do it, don't feed her for four weeks afterward! You can potentially kill her :O I know first hand ... I accidentally killed a snake at the pet store I used to work at that way. It regurged so I fed it again the next week and poof, his stomach blew up and he died x.x Not fun! And I felt bad.

Do post pictures of her! Rainbows are so beautiful, especially Brazilians .... And I'm a big boa person, if you couldn't tell *points to siggy*
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
2.3 Red Tail Boa Constrictor (Pan, Andro, Whiskey, Brandy, Morgan)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Shots)
0.1 Burmese Python (Gwen)
Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks. I am amazed that you have to wait four weeks if they regurgitate!!! My poor Phoebe will get so hungry in that long period of time. But its good to know.

I have no idea how to post pics, but I'll fiddle around on the site and give it a try.

=)
Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Nah, they can go a long time without food. She'll be fine! And yeah, it's to let the stomach acids rebuild. They throw all of the contents of their stomach up when they regurge, including all of the acid they need to digest. That's why it's dangerous to feed them until it rebuilds.

Try hosting them on photobucket.com and then pasting them here. Photobucket gives you the image code already, all you have to do is copy and paste
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
3.7 Ball Python (Miles, Pudding, Jameson, Daiquiri, Mystery, Lemon Drop, Abita, Sambuca, Hypnotiq, Sin)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Lucy is weird. She likes to be held after she eats. I know it's weird, but she does. I am a little leery of it, but she just likes to curl up on my chest for a bit. It's kind of cute. I feed her in her old tank and when she's done, I will gently sneak my gloved hands in there to pick her up and put her back in her tank. She never wants to go back in it, so I will hold her for a bit. Then she goes back in when I go to work.
She also likes to crawl up my arm sleeve so she's all laid out and puts her head on my chest under my shirt. She's very friendly and will let pretty much anyone hold her.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Snuffles-
Thanks for the tips with regurgitation. Lucy has not done this to me YET, so this is a good tip to know.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Most boa constrictors are like that :3 Very sweet and personable snakes. That's why I love them so much.

And no problem!
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)
Old 03-16-2011, 03:26 AM

Default not eating

I am the proud new mama of a baby red tail and he manaed to get stuck in my mom's car for 5 days in the cold and live! but its time for him to eat and he just doeasnt seem to have the energy. and he no longer holds onto things with his tail... my finger or wrist... he seems way out of it. ive only had him a few weeks but im worried. grantd hes ony been outta the car for a wk at most. can anyone help? should i leave him alone. handle him more. feeding isnt working...
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 AM

Default hello to all here

I am new here and have owned several snakes in my life. I just recently got a red tailed columbian boa. my baby she is 2 ft long and bueatifull her mother was albino and her father was a two headed red tailed. My granddaughter has now named her tinkerbell..lol. I have also a australian jungle carpenter python. She is 6ft long and incredible. her name is yes my granddaughter named her silvermyst..lol ok she has a hamster cheese to. well silvermyst has stopped eating now. she has not ate in over a month. she is lively and is always moving in her cage. I have the usuall heat,humidity,thermastates and all. she has a large waterbowl. and a good place to hide that she never uses.lol she perfers to sit on top
I have tried dead rats. live rats. big rats small rats. and nothing i have tried wiggling it I even got her a bigger cage. she uses natural shavings and sometimes newpaper. she loves to be held and likes exploring. so anyone.I was told she might be pregnant when i got her but that was in oct. and nothing. so i believe she is not
she sheds but does not eat and her last skin came out bueatifull. any ideas i would love to hear from you. thanks jenny
Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

@arm, what are your temperatures like in her cage? If she'd been cold all that time and she's still unresponsive, I'd say she's still cold. Try warming her up some more. Keep an eye on her, but leave her alone for about a week, then try feeding her. Boas usually aren't picky when it comes to food, so that's the only thing I can think of as to why she wouldn't eat.

@jenny, no, if she was pregnant, she'd have laid eggs by now for sure. So that's not it. If she's still being active and shedding, I wouldn't worry too much. There's no cause for worry when a snake won't eat, unless it starts losing weight. Also, I fear you might want to check her for mites ... They're little black bugs that will be found under the belly scales, in the eyes and nose area and in the heat pits. If she's not eating, she's obviously not growing, so she shouldn't be shedding. Usually they will shed their skin to try to get rid of the mites.
............| |
..........._\_\____
..........(________)__
.........(____________)